Sign in to follow this  
cmk

A look at the Beyer DT770 (32ohm)

About closed cans

My people buy headphones simply because they want to listen to music/watch a program at nite without disturbing the family members who maybe sleeping. Here is where isolation is of primarily importance, both of external noises intruding, and of your music escaping.

What's on offer

The new DT770 comes in the handsome leather case with the 3m straight cord and 1/4" 1/8" adaptor standard, quite an improvement over the previous and competitor's offerings. No need to look for that box to contain this work of art. BTW, the leather case is standard with the DT880 and DT990 as well.

Methodology

Listening was performed through my main rig through the Diva. Then compared with the DT990 (another bass can!) and the AT W100 (my other low impedence, closed can). This gets interesting the more I think about it. Since this model is the 32ohm version, I thought it would be good to listen to it in a portable setup, driven by the PA2V2.

On to the music

Zuill Bailey - Debut recording Track #6,7

DT770 - very nice full bodied cello sound, no overhang in the bass, though there is some bass reverb. Small details are clearly audible, this can retrieves details very easily, and this is enhanced by the fact that as a closed can, most extraneous noises are blocked off, making you focus on the performance. Micro dynamics is also well presented.

DT990 - gives more focus to the upper registers of the cello, as he draws the bow across the strings, there is more presence. Bass goes as low, and does not have a mid-bass hump in the 80-100hz region which the DT770 has.

W100 - who turned up the vol? Appears to be louder even at the same vol setting as the DT770. Also has more focus on the upper registers of the cello, though with less detail of the DT990. Does not extend as low as both the Beyers, bass is there, but not as pronounced. DT770 isolates better.

Linda Ronstadt - For sentimental reasons Track #1,2

DT770 - Wow! very intimate vocals, Linda's voice just seduces. Good centre image with a wide soundstage from the orchestra support. Full range sound at low levels and the instruments are reproduced with good body. Slight echo/reverb intrusive during solo vocal part - like she is singing in a small "live" hall.

W100 - More intimate as there is more focus on the female vocal. Very smooth orchestra support. It presents the music and the main melody with more prominence, which makes you focus on the music making rather than the details.

DT990 - This has a slightly more laid back relaxed sound, nothing is "forced" upon you. Details are all there, has better focus than both DT770 and W100. The highs have a very pristine quality, giving better detail retrieval. This is really good. Leaks sounds both ways.

Take Dake - Asian Roots Track #7

DT990 - started with this one instead. Strong bass lines of the kodo drums are reproduced with lots of punch, though this does not blur out the other instruments, flute and percussion are clearly separated from the mix. Does it swing? Heck yes!

W100 - has a lively, foot-tapping presentation, focus is on the flute (mids), with all the other instruments clearly separated. Less bass reverb than DT990. Makes you want to focus on the music. Bigger swing factor! Has a slight echo/reverb in the treble.

DT770 - very quite background(excellent isolation), clean and tight bass lines with good treble detail. Separation is also very good. Soundstage does not appear to be as wide as both DT990 and W100. Bass is tighter and with more punch than the DT990. Has less swing factor than both cans.

In the portable context

DT770 - the PA2V2 was able to drive it quite comfortably with the vol control about 70%. Bass was somewhat lose, though not unbearably so. Background quiet is very good with battery power supply. This will sound slower than a Grado/Alessandro, as it gives more weight to the bass. Maybe a bit unfair since I'm comparing it with the MS Pro, nevertheless, it is not embarassed when compared to such high end cans.

Summary

To put things into perspective, both the DT990 and the W100(now discontinued) cost more than the DT770, so comparing them like this was not going to be a fair fight. However, the DT770 does not disappoint, it makes music and sounds enjoyable with most genres. It covers all frequency ranges, with a slight emphasis on the mid bass, which creates a strong punch. Its forte is its ability to isolate, so if you don't want to be disturbed, or to disturb others, this is the can for you.

Great review cmk! Surprise to see it was mentioned "wide soundstage from the orchestra support" for a close can.

BTW how much the the DT770-32ohm selling here?

Thanks guys. I was curious about the price and I think Wilson mentioned below $300, can't remember exactly, but it should be cheaper than both the DT880 and DT990.

Wait till I write one on the MS Pros...I'm saving the best for later.