Sign in to follow this  
theory_87

Altec Lansing IM716 Review

Intro

Before getting iM716, I had used numerous earphones. but those were all budget in-canal phones....It started with Ex51, Ex71, LMX-E630 and the EP630. All the in-ear-canal phones I have used to date is very bass heavy (most had been modded).

But the IM716 changed my defination for bass. All the in-ear canal phones mentioned above deliver bass in quantity and not quality. 8 months ago, i decided to hunt for my 1st pair of IEM. I went to Stereo Electronic and Jaben to try out different IEMs but none suited me. I tried the Westone UM1 which people highly recommend but it was disappointing for me. My LMX-E630 sounded better as I felt that the UM1 lacked extension on the lows and highs.

The Westone UM2 is also highly recommended by many so I tried it... but found it too dark sounding. Bass is what I like but the mid feel recessed and overshadowed by the bass and treble wasn't sparkling.

At that time, IEM's were just starting to get popular in Singapore. Stereo Electronics had the UM1 and UM2 to try out and Jaben had the UM11, UM2, ER6i and ER6. Ultimate Ears (UE) was not even available in Singapore at the time. So I headed to Jaben to try the ER6i and that was when I met Wilson. He gave me alot of tips on how to choose IEMs. In the end, I fell for the ER6i sound signature.

My only gripe was that the ER6i was not bass heavy enough. So I started searching the Net for other IEMs and came accross the SF5pro. Read the description and thought it was the right one for me. Just when I'm about to place the order, Amazon started to sell the IM716 cheap. Reading through the user impressions at HeadFi, I concluded that the IM716 had the Etymotic sound signature but with heavier bass. Some even compared it to the ER4P. Since the price was cheap, I decided to buy it. After waiting for 2 weeks, it finally arrived and I have been happy user of it since. My IM716 has over 150 hours of break-in due to my heavy usage during FYP and IPP.

The Package

1 IM716 IEM

1 Spare filter and filter remover tools

1 Grey Triflange

1 Black Foamies

1 warranty card and free ear plug voucher (Only of use if you are in US)

1 Hard Case for storing iM716

Design and Cord

The wires are not as think as Shures or the Version 2 UE, but thicker than the UMs and the Etys. The wire had a rubbery texture. The 3.5mm jack is similar to LMX-E630 which look cheap to me at first. But it suited my current setup well. The IEM is white in colour which gets dirty easily so I had to clean it often. It is actually designed to be worn straight down the ears but I wear it looping over my ear so i don't feel the weight of the volume pod and reduces the microphonics by 90% (my estimation).

The volume pod is a plus to me. Mostly people hate it. I can adjust the volume without reaching for my amp. The filter is a problem here. It is hard to get at. In the end, I DIYed my own foam filter which I found to sound slightly better than original filter. The case that came along to store iM716 is huge and bulky. I can't use there is no room to store my iM716 with wire wrap. I use either a Ety or Westone case to keep my iM716.

Actual impedance:

HD mode : 68 Ohm

Bass mode : 36.8 Ohm

Devices Used For Review

ipod Nano 1st Generation with rockbox

Line Out Dock

DIY Canare cable with L shape Neutrik Plug

Pocket Ampifier 2 Version 2 (pa2v2)

Sound

The iM716 has a Bass mode and High Defination mode. In Bass Mode, it is warm sounding. In HD Mode, it is analytical sounding. The sound signature is similar to SF5pro and E4, though the bass sounds slightly better.

The iM716 sounds very different when amped. I also find the iM716 hard to drive. I tried it unamped straight out of my H10's headphone jack, buti had to crank it at almost maximum volume (35/40). I also tried it on an iPod and it managed to drive it well without an amp.

Bass

There is great extension in the Bass...

Bass Mode: It heavy, esp the mid bass. On par or even heavier than SF5pro.

HD Mode: It is much reduce and sound similar to Er4p but heavier. mid bass seems to be scoop out alot

Mid

It detail. recording flaws is easily reveal here.

Bass Mode: It warm. Even warmer than SF5pro. On par with E4 i would say (but not as smooth).

HD Mode: Typical Etys here... Mid is recess but it clean and detail (more than Er6i but slightly lower than Er4p)

Treble

There seems to be a treble boost here as in all Etys.

Bass Mode: Low treble seems to be eaten by the mid. But mid and high treble can be clearly heard

HD Mode: The treble is similar to Er4p but does not extend as far. Better than Er6i in my opinion

Comfort

Basically, do not expect iM716 to me a very comfy IEM like Er6i, UM1. It large noozle (compare to Ety, Shure, Westone) make it uncomfy and alot of people can't obtain a good seal.

The triflange is not very comfortable. In fact, It hurts my ears and i'm not able to get a seal. Foamie that came along is much more comfortable. But it cause itciness in my ears and stick out alot.

Ety Triflange moded to Biflange. Better seal but still hurt my ears. need to use the smaller flange as stalk else filter is reveal

Shure Triflange moded to Biflange. Hurt my ear after prolong usage. Things i hate about it is it will pick out your ear wax when took out from the ears.

Shure Soft Grey Sleeves. Quite comfy. Seal isn't the great but enough for most people.

Shure Clear Sleeves. Inserting part is a little pain. But once in your ear for sometime, it quite comfy and isolation is the greatest i obtain from any ear slevees. Sound stage is slightly wider. Could be due to the larger opening

UE Biflange. Some mod had to be done here. Gives a huge sound stage and very comfy but bass suffer... Bass may distort on some tracks and sound less heavy.

Conclusion

iM716 is a very capable IEM... It Bass and HD switch is useful when listening to different type of music and depend on moods. The Volume pod is either a like or hate. It handy for adjusting volume. Amp does help to bring iM716 to a new level. iM716 response very well to amping. Downside is hard to drive out of most players except ipods and newer iAudios.

By the way, iM716 is not a very sensitive as other IEM so pair it with pa2v2 does not make very audible hiss

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Filter Mod

Finally. Here comes my filter mod for iM716

Items needed. Thin Foam (can be obtain from those unwanted cushion), pin (to remove the default fiber on the filter)

Default look

IPB Image

Use the pin to peel the white fiber (in my case, i use a shure filter remover to do it)

IPB Image

Cut out the foam to a really small size and try to roll it into the filter hole

For me, i push the foam into the barrel. Reason is the prevent the foam from dropping out compare to just leave it in on the filter.

IPB Image

Put the ear slevee back on and you are good to go :D

IPB Image

From time to time i just use the filter remover to clean the filter like the shure and westone and use a cloth to wipe the noozle. The mod result the sound to be more airy and slightly warmer sounding

Guest joi-ful

Wow. Nice review you have there.

I think different tips affect the sound by quite a bit.

I like shure grey tips for HD mode and the default tri flange for bass mode.

Wow. Nice review you have there.

I think different tips affect the sound by quite a bit.

I like shure grey tips for HD mode and the default tri flange for bass mode.

yes. apparently, i found the clear sleeves to provibe the most sound stage...

Great review and pictures, theory_87! Seems like a decent IEM which is relatively affordable.

Great IEM. Got it from a friend to play with, found that the stock foams are not entirely prefect in sealing. I am preparing to custom built a couple of foam and see if the sound improves.

Initial impressions: Great bass response and quality! Even though its rather hard to drive with my iPod, still its a very pleasurable listening session with im716. The tri-flanges are too uncomfortable for my liking, and went on with the foams.

Just auction it today at stereo. Very nice. Good bass and warm for the bass setting. Dont really fancy the HD setting though, found it lacking, maybe its just my preference. Its one hard to drive earphone though. requires abt 80% more power to drive compared to a UM 1 (Base on my volume nob from 3 to 5+) Overall a great earphone if u have an amp to drive it sufficiently.