Sign in to follow this  
adhoc

dt880 cord change photos

all the photos of the entire process, as promised.

starting:

all equipment intro:

user posted image

1. both dt880 enclosures - contents removed

2. stock coiled cord

3. spring steel headband and headband covering

4. canare 1/4" plug

5. velour earpads

6. all screws - 2 different sizes and individually packaged

7. 4% silver solder

8. drivers

9. other parts making up enclosure. seperated into 2 bags for left and right enclosures

10. neutrik 1/4" plug. eventually not used.

11. soldering equipment comprising: iron, stand, sponge, paste, sucker, wick and wire stripper.

12. canare l-4e6s cable, with 1.5 feet stripped of outer pvc coating and wire braid

other tools which proved to be very useful and a closeup of my soldering iron:

user posted image

closeup of beyerdynamic dt880 enclosure:

user posted image

reverse side. note the 2 'channels' of solder which were orginally used to join the right enclosure's hot and ground cable to a 'crossover' cable which snaked through the headband into the right enclosure:

user posted image

closeup of a driver. the red mark on the paper affects the sound in no way and is used to indicate which of the 2 metal contacts in the centre of the picture is for the 'hot' cable:

user posted image

a full view of the coiled cable that was swopped out. it's apparently supposed to be 3m long, but the coiling results in a cable that's barely 1m long unstretched.

user posted image

closeup of the plug and wire ends of the coiled cable

user posted image

even closer closeup of the wire end of the coiled cable. the wires are very very thin and if i'm not wrong not twisted, nor do they have shielding to protect against EMI.

user posted image

the 'crossover' cable of the dt 880 that snakes though the headband. a simple 1 conductor 1 braid shield design in which the shield is used as a ground while the single conductor is hot.

user posted image

Edited by adhoc

ahh my mistake to have clicked here...

adhoc, please be considerate to this old man.. I have a weak heart. You almost sent me to a hospital with your 'more-than-life-hardcore' man!!!

nice job!!!

actual modding:

the canare strain relief and the enclosure that would house it. note that the strain relief's diameter is much bigger than the enclosure's 'exit' hole. what to do? drill!

user posted image

after drilling:

user posted image

another view:

user posted image

after fitting in the cord. the longer heat-shrinked blue-white twisted wires are meant to snake through the headband into the right enclosure from the left.

user posted image

another closeup view of the left enclosure's contents. note the little brass piece that is clamped onto the wire pair that is going out of the enclosure to prevent any more wire from going out other than the length i have allocated.

user posted image

after soldering the wires onto the left driver.

user posted image

and the right one.

user posted image

in case you were wondering, all the contacts were later heatshrinked to prevent shorting due to cables twisting.

the plug end's soldering

user posted image

and a larger view to put in perspective the immensely cramped conditions i had to work with. my thumb is there for size comparison.

user posted image

yes i know the last 2 photos look EXTREMELY messy. liberal amounts of heatshrink were used to prevent shorts and the results were.. well.. you saw for yourself.

Edited by adhoc

blues, you, an old man?! w00t.gif

END:

first a closeup to 'prove' that i did indeed use canare l-4e6s and not some unknown cord while telling you it was l-4e6s to impress you: lol.gif

user posted image

a look at the 'crossover' cable. i really like the twisted pair's shape coming through the heatshrink. it really makes it look a bit retro (and IMO cool):

user posted image

a closer look at the 'crossover' cable. note that when the headphone's 'arms' are retracted to a shorter length the way the 'crossover' cable bends. just like the original 'crossover'cable!

user posted image

a closer look at the strain relief. the plastic is a bit messy i know but i dont dare go near my dt880 with sandpaper. anyway it doesnt bother me and it's barely noticeable.

user posted image

a beauty shot:

user posted image

another beauty shot, this time in the supplied beyerdynamic aluminum box:

user posted image

and yet ANOTHER beauty shot, my personal fav:

user posted image

and finally, to recap what we've done at the end of the day...

user posted image

i hope you've all enjoyed these photos, these are the distilled product of the >300 photos i took! yeah.gif

Excellent step by step guide. This is worthy of a post in headwize or head-fi! Just post a link there so you don't have to repost all that again! Took a lil while to load up fully even on ADSL!

The only reason some of your photos were blurred is becos your hand shook when you depressed the shutter release (same thing happens to me as well) try using a tripod & your results will be alot better.

You're a brave person to open up your relatively new cans for this project.

oh, and lest we forget, my 'soldered' leg:

user posted image

user posted image

once while i was soldering a drop of hot solder fell onto me.

in a moment of SHEER stupidity i used my SWITCHED ON AND HOT soldering iron to brush the hot solder off my leg.

OW. fear.gif

Edited by adhoc

I have to agree there adhoc. thats SHEER stupidity haha.gif

eh mods: are we allowed to post pics of hairy male legs here?

wad the...

tongue.gif

blaze: not allowed..

A No-No tongue.gif

but adhoc's is fairly hairless lol.giflol.gif

JK tongue.gif

oh, if it looks slightly shaved to you, it IS.

i lost a bet with my friend on a soccer match and refused to pay up, so what to do.. rolleyes.gif

biggrin.gif It's a great mod. Why is it a great mod. Because of the suffering.(the leg) wacko.gif

You must suffer to create a real masterpiece.

Only bit that was scrappy was the hole in the earcup. Sand it off.