Sign in to follow this  
alvin1118

From Sennheiser HD650 to HD600

Sold my Sennheiser HD650 sometime back, think 3 months ago as i am fully packed with my studies. :blush:

HD650 was kept in the box for at least a couple of months (uni life was tough, or maybe i am just not that smart? lol ). Kind of wasted and feeling guilty for not utilizing this great headphone, hence, selling it away for someone been looking for it in classicfied. Not bad, it sold right after i post it, popular huh?

Too bad, I missed Sennheiser sounds badly, especially when i built the new MPA2.5 :bash:

My only headphone ATH-AD700 sounds BAD (very) with MPA2.5. It was too details, bright, fatiguing after long hour listening. The sound signature of MPA2.5 is pure and transparent. In layman term, it's rubish in rubish out, no added ajinomoto.

I always believe that ATH headphones required specially tuned headamp to sound best. Although most ATH headphones can be easily driven, but not always well matched in most cases. The classic-est example will be the Yamamoto with W1000; anyone? :lust:

I'm so grateful that to audition both HD600/HD650 @ Stereo with my own diy headamp at my CONVENIENT. In fact, i brought the MPA2.5 to Stereo and left it over for kakis around to audition it. Special thanks to Aron, two thumbs up for the awesomely excellent service! :rclxms:

Here's my finding of HD600 & HD650: (personal opinion :sweat: )

Construction: Overall construction of HD600/HD650 is 'almost' the same. Despite having two different types of cable, headband cushion and texture coloring; i've also noticed that HD650 grills are more sturdier built. I have checked with Senn Asia, the cost of HD650 grills is 6.8x more than HD600 grills (wonder what is the 'real' difference in term of technical /material/finishing of these grills :think: ). I have also checked the cost of the cable, funny, HD650 cable cost 2x cheaper than the later. :wacko:

Driver: Sennheiser has got this driver design for a very, very long time. The earliest model i personally came accross was HD525. I dismantled the old HD525, oh well, the well known HD580 brass ring is there, very thin voice coil and the diaphragm look very much the same as HD580/HD600/HD650. Yupz, so what is the difference(s) of HD580/HD600/HD650 drivers? The laser printed serial number on diaphragm to differentiate them? or? I bet only Sennheiser knows ;) Here's some pics of the Senn driver:

HD525

IPB Image

Old HD600

IPB Image

New HD600

IPB Image

eh? this is my HD600 driver, see the serial number?

Sound: I must confess, I like the bass and dynamic of HD650. It produce very nice punch and involving sound. It's laidback, dark, warmth -er as compared to HD600. To me, HD600 is neutral, not warmth nor bright, might be a little laid back but it sounded just nice with MPA2.5. To be more specified, HD600 wins in vocal (but not entired mid range). In some tracks, it's very obvious that the vocal reproduced by HD650 is somewhat recessed, which is the major reason why HD650 set me back in taking it home.

Overall, I am quite happy with HD600 and also, the wonderful service by Stereo. Currently stick with stock cable and eyeing for the Cardas :)

IPB Image