ivaninc

What to upgrade from JBL Reference 220?

Hi

I am thinking of upgrading my headphones but not sure what to pick from the many choices available for entry level options

1) Currently using JBL Reference 220

2) Listen to mostly rock/metal and electro music genres

3) Hopes to get good clarity and seperation and Bass need not be too heavy

4) Budget $150 or less

5) Using an Ordnance .25 amp

AM looking at UM1, Superfi 3, Shure 110 but seems even cheaper ones like Astello Radiance etc may sound good for the lower price bracket.

Hope the experts here can give some good advice. thanks!!

hello,

the jbl do have a good bass suitable for the genre of music you listening to. and indeed is a price to consider now. however jbl have good isolation, but too much bass will result in the clarity that you looking for to be absent.

UM1 have good fitting, but it dun suit the genre of music you listening to. Maytbe for pop music can.

on your consideration, i would recommend either the UE 3 studio but the fitting is alwasya a problem for new user to their earphone.

the astello have good separation that that you looking for,. The soundstage is wider, but the isolation is not fantastic. But it can be improve with a comply.

Hi

Thanks for much for ur valued advice!

So do u think Astello is a worthwhile upgrade for better SQ than JBL?

Would it sound even better w a amp?

Thinking of getting a minor upgrade n maybe save up for a higher end model later.

Astello give a better soundstage and more clarity then the JBL imo. JBL sound very bassy, thus become very muddy as a result.

Astello can run with or without amp. With amp, it sound more clearer and the bass kinda become tighter.