Sign in to follow this  
artemov

A Simple Music Server

Hi all,

I am trying to build a home headphone system from scratch. Almost all of my music are in digital format (mp3 and flac), and hence my main problem is the music server itself.

At my workplace I am using the Senn HD595 with a USB DAC running from my laptop, which can be kept on the whole time I am in office (working of course! :D). So no worry there.

At home, I don't really want to turn on my pc just to listen to music. Its noisy and consume too much electricity.

Some of the options I have explored include

1) Squeezebox with a NAS or NAS-like device (fit-pc2, vortexbox). The negative part is that I will have to keep my router on, which is crappy and prone to dropouts. But I think I might be able to physically situate the NAS just next to the Squeezebox and all the other equipments.

2) Ipod + iTransport, using the digital out. But I am not an Apple/iTunes user (using Foobar2000 now), so I am not very keen on this option.

3) A standalone solution from the audio companies, but these are really expensive, so its not very viable.

Anyone has other suggestion? I am trying not to spend more than S$1000 for this part of the system.

I still lack the headphone itself of course, and a DAC/amp, but I will worry about that later. :))

Cheers.

Edited by artemov