Sign in to follow this  
jojo_b2

Initial impressions on the Audiotrak DR. DAC2 DX

I was able to audition the Audiotrak DR. DAC2 DX at Audio basic yesterday. It was fresh out of the box yesterday. I believe it should only have 3-4 hours of running time.

What amazed me is the opower of the little bugger. It's the width and length is smaller than a CD case the height should be two (2) standard CD cases stacked on top of each other.

On the "Low gain" 1/4 stereo jack (it has two ouput 1/4 stereo jacks one for Low and one for High), it drove the Ultrasone Pro 750 and the Pro 900 very well. it controlled the well known bass boom on the 750. It wasn't totally detailed but it was warm and very lush. The music was just engaging and very musical. I really liked it on the Ultrasones.

I then plugged in my AT ESW10. I found it had a very good synergy. The bass was controlled and the highs were just there.

Then someone pulled out the big guns a HD800. On the high gain. it was driven pretty decently.You know that the HD800 wasn't calling out for juice. The BASS was there and there was utterly no sibilance.

But even with the advantages above, I found that the DX had an upfront presentation. The sound stage wasn't as close to my SR71A. The highs were not that prominent either leaving you wanting for the "splash" on a cymbal. But again the unit was only running a few hours maybe on my return it may give me another surprise.

Please take the above impression with a "Grain of Salt", considering the burn in time and that the system was hooked up with a very (2x) decent CD player a Trigon.

But the DX is something you have to audition if you plan to have MINI-rig for bedside or even work. It has a built in DAC w/ a USB and an Optical input too. The biggest amazement is the price. Ask Steven at Audio basic and you'll surely be surprised.

Note: I have no affiliation with Audio Basic. It's just recently I have more time going around with the guys considering my rig is still being burned-in and I cannot enjoy my rig for the moment. :cry:

Edited by jojo_b2