:: Chicky ::

Any Ultrasone Pro 900 Headphone users out there ?

guess i will try out the hfi series thoroughly @ stereo then.

you guys going to stock the *soon to be released* hfi 2400 ?

what genre of music did you try the both cans with ?

Because.. personally owning the k702, the k70* is simply one of the best if you are comparing classical or jazz lol.

Or should i phase another question.

Any headphone recommendation for pop ?

Budget around 600+ ?

I tried the Pro900 with a Jpop, jazz and classical track. You don't need a lot of bass for classical, pop still sounds ok with rolled-off treble, but everything sounds bad when the midrange is recessed badly, which was the case for the Pro900.

I enjoy pop with my K240 Studio and Sextett, HD650 would also be a nice choice with the right amp.

recable it! :naughty:

ALO SXC cable was awesome with the HD650 when I tried them with the GS Solo. It had a wide 3D soundstage, no veil and very detailed.

APS? :whistle:

:innocent:

ALO SXC cable was awesome with the HD650 when I tried them with the GS Solo. It had a wide 3D soundstage, no veil and very detailed.

I've see pretty much good reviews regarding the SXC but have yet to try one.

Maybe I should get one to try :think:

Edited by Darkkopi

You should, for the next meet. :thumbup:

I've been in talk with Ken @ ALO and he's given me a pretty good price :DD I just need to get the HD800 connectors

I tried the Pro900 with a Jpop, jazz and classical track. You don't need a lot of bass for classical, pop still sounds ok with rolled-off treble, but everything sounds bad when the midrange is recessed badly, which was the case for the Pro900.

oh.. okay, thanks again

Ultreasone cans need more than usual time to burn in :doh:

well, they are those either you love it or hate it cans..... there's no inbetween.....

oh, they are good in Electronica / Uptempo Jazz / Drums & Percussions / Baroque....

forget about those Beethoven Symphony No.9 that kind of full symphony works..... :angry:

hd650 b4 recabling sounds very veilly and muddy

after recabling heh :grin: u get very fast,wide open soundstage and very seductive midrange

but it also depends on yur source and yur amp ....

if u can stretch out yur budget try the beyer dt880 32 ohms it may suit yur taste

just change the beyer pads to leather and u get fast articulate deep bass which is great for pop

Wow.. i contacted the ultrasone distributor of SG and asked about the price for the pro900, whether it tallies with the price quoted from Audio Basic..

I was so wrong.. << but thats a good thing though, luckily i check with their distributor..

???

There is a HFI 550 ?

Or do you mean pro 550 ?

didn't see any hfi 550 on their website..

Mind giving me your first impression on the pro900 if possible to recall ?

A week ago.. they should be burn in already then.

The other time when i first try it, it was a few days after it came in, with low burn in time.

The bass sounded bloomy, and sounded like it was covering up the other spectrum of the music.

And i was listening to it on their system.

Going to give it another try after my exams. Hopefully more or less burn in already.

But the price was sure steep.. didn't expect it to be so high..

HFI 550 is an old Ultrasone model. And yes, it is the HFI series, not PRO. I managed to find one from Amazon for quite a decent price. The PRO900 has a really weird sound signature which I did not like at all. Can't really put my finger on it, but it's probably the recessed midrange as mentioned by some of the bros here. My 550's sound signature is closer to the 780 which I really liked, if not for the clamping force which can get uncomfortable after a while. Great for rock and pop, which are the 2 main genres of music that I listen to. The PRO900 is really comfortable, and I was hoping it'll sound as good as the HFI series. Too bad...

Own a PRO900, have to agree the stock Pro900 doesn't sound impressive, esp when it's not burnt in. After proper burn in and a recable (blue dragon on mine) however, it's a different animal haha. The mids are a lot more pronounced, though they not lush sounding like the HD650s. They have great bass, though it can be overpowering so i tempered it with my own version of the Kees mod. Treble can be harsh, and i find them particularly dependent on the recording of the music. None of my chinese cds sound good, with vocals being shrill and sibilant. But paired with well recorded acoustic and rock material, they blow my mind.

Overall, not a pair of headphones that people will fall in love with immediately. They need time and some commitment for you to get used to the sound signature, but they've rewarded me with many a good evening of music :)

Hmmm, I guess the Pro900 at Audio Basic was not fully burnt in, but I find it weird that they use a headphone that's not performing at full capacity to showcase their Dr.DAC amp and Oyaide cables. :think:

Own a PRO900, have to agree the stock Pro900 doesn't sound impressive, esp when it's not burnt in. After proper burn in and a recable (blue dragon on mine) however, it's a different animal haha. The mids are a lot more pronounced, though they not lush sounding like the HD650s. They have great bass, though it can be overpowering so i tempered it with my own version of the Kees mod. Treble can be harsh, and i find them particularly dependent on the recording of the music. None of my chinese cds sound good, with vocals being shrill and sibilant. But paired with well recorded acoustic and rock material, they blow my mind.

Overall, not a pair of headphones that people will fall in love with immediately. They need time and some commitment for you to get used to the sound signature, but they've rewarded me with many a good evening of music :)

Ooooo finally a pro900 user's impression !

Thanks for the detailed comments, much appreciated.

You did partial kees mod ? Which steps did you carry out ?

How do you find them for pop music ?

What source and amps are you using it with ? Does it benefit much from amping ?

Thanks !

Edited by :: Chicky ::

I did the standard Kees mod at first, but found that the while it did control the bass, my mids and treble sounded horrible. I suspected it was the culprit was the cotton under the drivers, so i cut away the part of circular pad that would have been under the driver and positioned it such that there would be no cotton under the driver and just like that, the effect on the kees mod on the mids and treble mostly disappeared while still doing its job on tempering the bass.

The steps are:

1. Find suitable circular contton pads of appropriate thickness (abt 2mm) You can try cutting from a rectangular piece, but i find the circular ones nicer to work with. Tip: You can find them at sephora, don't even have to buy them, just koup some from the tester makeup counters. (who says going shopping with a girl doesn't pay off? haha)

2. Unscrew the driver housing (the big metal plate) from the headphone. Dun take out the wrong screws or you'lll be unscrewing the driver from the metal plate itself.

3. Cut out part of cotton pad that would cover the drivers with some guesstimation after looking at drivers. Position cotton pad where it won't cover the drivers. Put back into headphone cups.

4. Screw everything back on tight and you're done!

Note: pls refer to original kees mod thread for pics and other steps. personally i find the adhesive cotton thing to be optional though i did paste one in the cup. they're cheap anyway and can be easily found at hardware convenience stores.

Source and amp is headroom balanced desktop with home DAC.

For single-ended, i find them to be not-so dependent on amping, they are efficient and can sound good without a powerful amp. Like most if not all headphones, they benefit from proper amping , but the difference isn't as great as say, for the HD650. Would say they benefit quite a lot from balanced drive however. The difference was very great for that improvement. Even ultrasone launched a balanced version of the Pro900s, which should be at least some sort of validation for that move.