nuckingfuts

Maverick D1 vs Audiotrak ImAmp ?

forgive me if this sounds like a dumb question but how does these 2 headamps compare ? :blush:

1) are they of the same price ? the Maverick looks like it should cost a lot more.....

2) which sounds better ? Korean product vs China product so you know.......

3) any reliability issues with the Maverick ?

4) can i upgrade the opamps in the future if they're of the socket-type ?

i plan to use this with the AKG K501 and seems the Maverick can drive it with ease but can the Audiotrak (250mW+250mW @ 32 ohms) do the job ?

more than 70 views and no comment ???

strange...........real strange........

bro, when there's no comments, u can probably find most answers on the forums.

1) call up stereo and ask for price of D1, simple.

2) sound is subjective, so i believe u shld be thinkin on the lines of what sonic qualities u prefer and then go around forums to see which one has what sonic qualities. of course final audition is when u listen to both urself.

3) im sure this can be found over at head-fi

4) which one are u referring to. and if they're socket type, i don't see why not.

though i cant give any accurate answers because i havent heard these 2 amps for myself before, i could give u the sources to find your answers. hope it helped.

Just to add

1) Audio basic @ Adelphi 2nd flr, sells the inamp. There is a Demo unit you can try. you can also visit Stereo at Plaza Singapura as they have a demo too.

3) In amp has a socket that lets you Roll OPamps. I beleieve the new/updated D1 is also socket type.

As for sound. I personally prefer the inamp for the HD800 (Sounds good on it, but the HD800 will shine on a larger and more powerful amp. i used my HD800 for a Demo). But the D1 sounds to have great synergy w/ the Audio technica W1000x and my ED9. But again this is subjective, it's actually great that the shops have a demo unit available. I don't really put much meat on reviews from the net when I buy equipment. =)

bro, when there's no comments, u can probably find most answers on the forums.

1) call up stereo and ask for price of D1, simple.

2) sound is subjective, so i believe u shld be thinkin on the lines of what sonic qualities u prefer and then go around forums to see which one has what sonic qualities. of course final audition is when u listen to both urself.

3) im sure this can be found over at head-fi

4) which one are u referring to. and if they're socket type, i don't see why not.

though i cant give any accurate answers because i havent heard these 2 amps for myself before, i could give u the sources to find your answers. hope it helped.

thanks for the info but what is head-fi ? is it another forum ? :helpsmilie:

also it's very difficult to compare the headamps even with the same headphones since the 2 shops are using different cd players and cables............... :rclxub:

can you provide me with the sources to help me to decide ? thanks ! :))

Just to add

1) Audio basic @ Adelphi 2nd flr, sells the inamp. There is a Demo unit you can try. you can also visit Stereo at Plaza Singapura as they have a demo too.

3) In amp has a socket that lets you Roll OPamps. I beleieve the new/updated D1 is also socket type.

As for sound. I personally prefer the inamp for the HD800 (Sounds good on it, but the HD800 will shine on a larger and more powerful amp. i used my HD800 for a Demo). But the D1 sounds to have great synergy w/ the Audio technica W1000x and my ED9. But again this is subjective, it's actually great that the shops have a demo unit available. I don't really put much meat on reviews from the net when I buy equipment. =)

too bad no 2 shops sell both headamps.............. :cry: very difficult to compare when the shops using different cd players and cables...........

if can change to better opamps, is it something you can do yourself ? will it cost a lot for a new opamp ?

i think i'm more concerned with reliability and after-sales service since China companies like Maverick may just come and go after a few years...............but the Maverick certainly offers a lot though i don't need the DAC or the preamp sections but the IEC power inlet would allow me to use one of my extra ''good'' power cords.........

if u like fast bass, forward mids then maverick is yur gun

audiotrak is more to neutrality, precision and slightly more soundstage

both r opamps changeable and it is very easy to swap

however u may need to hear both whether it suits to yur taste

but since u using k701 the ideal amp to drive it is the maverick

more enough power to drive my beyer dt880 600 ohm bout 40% volume

if u like fast bass, forward mids then maverick is yur gun

audiotrak is more to neutrality, precision and slightly more soundstage

both r opamps changeable and it is very easy to swap

however u may need to hear both whether it suits to yur taste

but since u using k701 the ideal amp to drive it is the maverick

more enough power to drive my beyer dt880 600 ohm bout 40% volume

thank you very much for your info ! :thumbup:

i using the old K501 but is there any shop that sells both headamps and i reckon they're both around the same price ?

the Maverick is more powerful with 1000mW output vs 250mW for the Audiotrak but which amp is quieter and more refined, especially in the highs ? (i'm more particular about treble refinement and extension)

i perceive the Maverick as having more value-for-money due to it's size and power :grin: and also the fact that i can use a good AC cord for it is a big plus. i'm more concerned with it's reliability and after-sales service............... :helpsmilie:

sonically, i think i might prefer the Audiotrak based on your description, especially if it's quieter and has better treble refinement and extension than the Maverick.

mavericks defiently rock in lower end bass and has viciously forward midrange ...

well the highs r a bit lacking compare to audiotrak and precisions not as good as audiotrak if u r using the mavericks dac itself....the dac is ok ok imo but i skipped it since i using Xindak dac-5 modded for it

the internal amp on maverick is very good and for that price it is a no brainer...

iamp is very good in driving hd800 since the hd800's trebles in need of control and warm bass with it

maverick will drive any headphones easily but whether it is the soundsignature that u wan it depends on u entirely

since u aledi mention the advantages and since if u have powercords then maverick will change according to powercords signature...and not forgetting maverick have exchangeable fuse so that the upgrade options r a lot :)) anyone tried hifi fuse and isoclean fuse on it? :thumbup:

if u worry bout the reliability, i have the older version maverick and it doesnt give me any problem ...the internal structure built like a tank and it will shine after burning in for 200 hours...the highs will settle down and bass become very deep and smooth...

well that is said as much but in the end u will need to hear both whether they suits to yur taste and not relying entirely on reviews ...

cheers!

Edited by sep90

Sep90

you mentioned the Maverick has viciously forward midrange but is that through the internal DAC or just the headamp section alone ?

from your description of the Audiotrak's sound, seems like that's more to my liking but it's not very powerful so you think it can drive things like K702 or similar headphones as i will upgrade my headphones later ?

one thing is for sure, the Maverick offers a lot plus got more upgrade options like power cord and fuse some more :grin:

headache lah...........and got one guy suggest me Musical Fidelity V8Can some more..........aiyoh.......... :rclxub:

Whether mid are forward depends on ur headphone as well. With my hd600 with aps v3, it doesn't sound too forward. Initially, highs will sound harsh and bright, need more time to tame it down (at least 100hr). For myself, I plan to roll opamps. Still waiting for it to arrive.

Sep90

you mentioned the Maverick has viciously forward midrange but is that through the internal DAC or just the headamp section alone ?

from your description of the Audiotrak's sound, seems like that's more to my liking but it's not very powerful so you think it can drive things like K702 or similar headphones as i will upgrade my headphones later ?

one thing is for sure, the Maverick offers a lot plus got more upgrade options like power cord and fuse some more :grin:

headache lah...........and got one guy suggest me Musical Fidelity V8Can some more..........aiyoh.......... :rclxub:

the headamp itself the dac is not as good as other standalone dac...

and it's most depend on yur headphones as well ...i using hd650/hd800 and beyer dt880 600 ohm with it and overall my powercords/tunings/interconnects bring the mids forwards...

Edited by sep90

Whether mid are forward depends on ur headphone as well. With my hd600 with aps v3, it doesn't sound too forward. Initially, highs will sound harsh and bright, need more time to tame it down (at least 100hr). For myself, I plan to roll opamps. Still waiting for it to arrive.

how much are the better opamps ? by the way, what's aps v3 ? :blush:

so after running in, is the treble rolled off ?

i very much prefer a leaner sound with really quick bass and good treble extension.

the headamp itself the dac is not as good as other standalone dac...

and it's most depend on yur headphones as well ...i using hd650/hd800 and beyer dt880 600 ohm with it and overall my powercords/tunings/interconnects bring the mids forwards...

i know my headphones area little lean and my interconnects are lean-sounding too..........and if i were to place cones under the headamp............i think the midrange might just be a little too forward then ! :grin:

i don't mind the Audiotrak even if can't use the good power cord, i only worry it hasn't got the power to sound dynamic. the Maverick has like 4 times the output.

APS v3 is cable upgrade for the HD600/650.

treble didn't roll off, just more refine and smooth. But still not as musical/airy as I like it to be, thus the idea of rolling opamps. Default opamps use LF353N, many pp at head fi suggest try LT1364 in the DAC and LM4562 in the headamp section.

I would say, grap your headphone and go stereo to audit the Mav D1 see if you like it.

APS v3 is cable upgrade for the HD600/650.

treble didn't roll off, just more refine and smooth. But still not as musical/airy as I like it to be, thus the idea of rolling opamps. Default opamps use LF353N, many pp at head fi suggest try LT1364 in the DAC and LM4562 in the headamp section.

I would say, grap your headphone and go stereo to audit the Mav D1 see if you like it.

by the way, how much is the Maverick ? i wonder if it cost a lot more than the Audiotrak ?

and how much is the opamp ?

maybe i wait until Maverick and Audiotrak mark 2 come out lah.................. :grin: the 1st one to come out mark 2, i buy that one........... :grin: