Sign in to follow this  
leekb

Sennheiser HD650 - excellent choice

Recently I auditioned both HD600 and the AKG K702. I really liked the looks of the K702. By looks alone, I was absolutely biased towards the AKG. That was before the audition.

In listening to both cans, I find the K702 sounded awful. They were harsh and raw in a bad way. Could that be due my preference in sound? I reckon others like that kind of presentation. But not me. I wanted to stop listening after no more than 1 minute into the music. I felt my AudioTechnica earbuds sounded better. Sorry, AKG.

Next on, the HD600. They made me smile. They were ultra-soothing, smooth and natural. The choice was obvious. I was told the HD650 has similar sound signature and that If I liked the HD600 then the HD650 would sound great to me too. I decided that HD650 is the way to go.

A brand new pair of HD650 arrived at my door step a few days ago. Everything was all I expected. The sound was lovely. I use them with the Lavry DA10 DAC and the Cary Audio SLI-80 SSE. Both with excellent results. Even my Nokia N97 could drive them fairly well. Are they that difficult to drive? Hmmm. May be not.

Edited by leekb

I have only listened to the HD600 briefly. I won't be able to objectively assess my preference between HD600 and HD650.

I mentioned in my earlier post I listen to the HD650 through Cary Audio SLI-80 SSE and Lavry DA10. I need to share with you that while the HD650 sounded great on the Lavry DA10, the SLI-80 was SO MUCH BETTER driving the HD650.

The SLI-80 + HD650 combo = refined with jaw-dropping mid-range, full rounded bass, pleasant and extended highs (could not detect any rolloff), plenty of details, and totally un-fatiguing.

Here is a pic of the SLI-80.

IPB Image

Edited by leekb

What was the setup at the point of audition of the k702 ?

The terms you used seems like a case of underpowering.

Or maybe its just that you did not get use to the k702's sound signature.

with some setup, it will sound dry and none-musical, just reproducing everything correctly

Edited by :: Chicky ::

Hi,

newbie here. Mind sharing where you buy and how much you paid for the HD650? I'm debating to whether get the K701 or HD650.

Hi,

newbie here. Mind sharing where you buy and how much you paid for the HD650? I'm debating to whether get the K701 or HD650.

I like the HD650...especially the mids... Suggest u visit the stores for a direct comparison...

Another vote for the HD650...which in my opinion is a more versatile Headphone. No doubt like most headphones, it has its own coloration, but I like the coloration on the HD650. Nice bass impact on this one.