Sign in to follow this  
theobservatory.

Portable DAC/amp for ESW10JPN

I'm having a hard time coming to terms with selling these cans to fund a JH13. I might not want to sell them cuz I keep falling in love with these beauties the more I listen to them.

Some say these cans don't benefit from an amp, some say if its a DAC/amp the difference is noticeable.

I'm running ALAC/FLAC files played via iTunes/Play on my Macbook Pro. The MBP has an optical out so I'd like to take advantage of this, provided the SQ is higher than the USB out for the portable DAC/amp recommended.

Some options I'm looking at right now are: uDAC, IBasso D4 and D10, RSA Predator and Headamp Pico.

I've read some of the threads, and I recall slwiser or someone saying that the TTVJ portable millett hybrid sounds awesome with the ESW10JPN. But this amp doesn't have a DAC so that's a concern. I could always pair the uDAC with but a single all-in-one unit would be preferable.

Let me know what you guys think I should go for!

since you're gna use a dac, i presume you'll always be using with a laptop? (or any source like cdp etc. that can be used with a dac, lah)

so anyway, usually dac/amp combo wont sound as good as a single unit amp + single unit dac combo, and then again a portable dac like the udac wont sound as good as a desktop one. so i suggest you think about whether u need the portability first.

Hah. I just use my ESW10JPN straight from my headphone out! Interested in hearing some feedback on this too. uDAC only accepts USB input if I'm not wrong, so you wont be taking advantage of the Mac's optical out.

I use the headphone regularly with the following:

Desktop setup: Naim Headline2 and NAPSC

PC setup: iBasso D4

Portable setup: Sony X1060

Don't sell the headphone, give it an amp, it sings :thumbup: (my quite new HD600 now in "cold storage")

iBasso D4 is quite good match - I have not heard any of the more expensive Pico, but they should be better.

My 2 cents :D

Cheers,