Sign in to follow this  
Lendmeurears

Review: Sunrise Sw-Xcape

Hi,

Before I start with my review, I have to say that I am the reseller of these in Singapore. However, I am a earphone enthusiastic and believe in recommending the most value for money earphones for all. Afterall, I had a pair of Crossroads X3i, Crossroads Bijou 3, Hifiman Re2 and Hifiman Re0 which are all very value for money earphones. Thus, I understand what people wants in good value for money earphones. While I am a reseller, the following is my most sincere opinions and I hope that it benefits everyone here. Please pardon me if my review is not as professional as the others as I rather new to writing reviews.

Sunrise Sw-Xcape

IPB Image

Sw-Xcape

Packaging, Accessories and Build Quality

As mentioned in my As-charm review, the box is actually very nice as it is unlike other packaging I have seen in other iems. It gives nice reflection of the rich culture where the company originates from (Vietnam). As with other Sunrise products, it comes with a good hard case but unlike the charm, the Sunrise logo is fixed to the hard case and so it doesn't comes off easily.

The accessories is pretty decent with there are 3 pairs of single flanges (S, M, L) as well as two pairs of UE style bi-flanges and they serve their purpose well.

Like the As-Charm, it uses a straight plug which will be a boon for iPod/iphone/itouch users but not for a cowon d2 like me. The wire of X-cape is similar to the Charm- very solid and has a PFE rubbery feel.

IPB Image

Sound Quality.

The Sw-Xcape actually reminds me of how a warm RE0 will sound like. Like the RE0, Sw-Xcape is details driven. Sw-Xcape is also a balanced IEM. Like the RE0 it is has good details and the treble extension is good as well. Bass response is slightly better than Re0 but I still wish it was more in quantity. In order to get a better bass, I do suggest using the Sony styled hybrid tips. In general, the Sw-Xcape is suitable for all kinds of music.

Personally I find that Sw-Xcape is easier to drive and at no times do I feel that it requires an amp to reach its full potential like how I feel that about the Re0.

Song impression

Don't stop believing by Glee cast

Lea Michele is well supported by the good treble extension here. The details here is very good and you can hear the harmony of voices clearly. Cory Monteith (Finn) lower voice is well accentuated by the warmness of the IEM.

Mr Self-destruct by Nine inch nails

Here, the bass response is good by the bass quantity can be better. What I like most is the clarity of the song. This is quite heavily distorted song which can best test the clarity of the earphones. When played using a simple CD player, all I can hear is distortion from the sound. However, using the Xcape, it reveals more details within the distortion which is impressive.

Dear country by Norah Jones

Norah Jones “whispering” style of singing is well carried here. You can even hear sometimes the little breaths she took in during singing

IPB Image

Conclusion

As mentioned, Sw-Xcape is a direct competitor with Re0. Sw-Xcape triumphs the Re0 over a nice packaging and a good hard case for almost the same price – Sw-Xcape (USD80) vs. RE0 (USD79)

The main difference between them is that RE0 is rather cold while Sw-Xcape is warmer sounding

In terms of build quality, both are comparable but iPod users may prefer Sw-Xcape as it uses a straight plug while RE0 uses an L-plug. Moreover, Sw-Xcape also triumphs in terms of the power require to drive it. Sw-Xcape is slightly easier to drive than RE0 and this makes a great difference especially for IPod users since iPod isn't that powerful. Moreover, RE0, imho, requires an amp to drive it to reach a potential while the Sw-Xcape never makes me feel this way.

Thus, I feel that Sw-Xcape on the whole edges RE0 by a little as it offers even more for the same value.

Sunrise Sw-Xcape retails for SGD100 but is now having a 15% discount at SGD85 while Sunrise As-Charm is coming soon! You can get them @ Lend Me Ur ears

Edited by Lendmeurears