Sign in to follow this  
Sipher

Demagnetizing Disc

that's what i'm afraid of when playing my cd, so i lower the volume to half of my normal listening volume.

so, it wont cause the "magnets" in the drivers to demagnetise?

therefore causing the sound quality to degrade?

Most sound or music are actually made up of many sine waves of various frequencies.

IMHO, by playing your music everyday, I don't see why there's a need to play sweeping sine wave..

Very true jtfoo, but the music that we play do not often hit the freq extremes enough but a degaussing/demagnetizing track does. It's one of those things about audiophiles trying to climb the ladder towards sonic heaven at all cost. IMHO, demagnetizing is not a necessity as opposed to burning in of equipment. No point in applying a measure if one can't hear the difference, I always say. But if one can, by all means naturally.

Sipher, how does your degaussing track sound like? The one on XLO disc goes from the very low to very high in a gradual ascending tone.

Edited by Mackie

Mackie, you're right, normal music won't reach the extreme end of the audio spectrum..

Btw, anyone who needs a sweeping sine wave can make yourself one. All you need is a tone generator and a CDR burner.

I've made a few sweeping sine waves of various band to my speakers measurements and calibrating my subwoofer. The tone generator I'm using is NCT, which is rather flexible as it allows you to set a lot of parameters for your sine waves.

Mackie, the one in XLO cd is only 1 min long and its frequency range is from 40Hz-19kHz. apart from the gradual tone, it also integrates a "up down up down" tone (cant really describe it well)

mine is 5 min long, frequency range from 20Hz-20kHz in 1Hz increments but dont have the "up down up down" thingy. anyway, refer to the first post of this thread. it has the description of the cd that i made

Sipher, U have confused the demagnetizing track with the burn-in track on XLO disc! The former is on track 7 while track 9 contains the burn-in track (your so-called up/down sweeping tone). They serve entirely different functions. Track 9 is more than 15 minutes long. Btw, demagnetizing signals are supposted to be either gradually rising or instantenous.

http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/249...t/eb0f1b12.html

Nevertheless, U have the tracks that will do the job nicely. The sweeping track that lasts for 5 mins can be used as a burn-in track if it sweeps from low to high and then back continuously.

Edited by Mackie

Mackie, i own the XLO cd now. hehe

hmmm... maybe i remembered wrongly?

will go and check again