ymmit

newbie: how to break in Grado headphones

Hi all.

after a lot of reading online and at this forum, I may very well choose to get the Grado SR80.

Question is: I've read a lot about breaking in your headphones. I have never heard of anything like this before, I never knew you had to "warm up" your headphones before they sound good.

Can anyone describe procedure + type of music required? and must it really be done for 30hrs??

What volume should I do it at?

Should I turn off all equalizer settings to do break in? or should I vary the equalizer settings e.g. Jazz, Classical, Rock, Dance.

And what if we don't break in our headphones at all?

Must breaking in be done right from the start (otherwise your headphones are pretty much screwed for life) or can it be done at any point in time?

Oh, and is it possible to OVER break in your headphones such that they break down? heh..

Edited by ymmit

Check out this very informative guide by Rameish:

http://www.sgheadphones.com/index.php?showtopic=169

Trust us, breaking in really works wink.gif You can just connect your headphone to the radio, or CD player and just leave them playing the whole day. I usually try to have a wide range of music playing to cover the full range. Just don't blast them at full volume all the way tongue.gif

And BTW welcome.gif

Can anyone describe procedure + type of music required? and must it really be done for 30hrs??

As linked by augustine. For proper burn in, many recommend 4 full days, i.e. around 100 hours.

And what if we don't break in our headphones at all?

If you really don't mind, you can listen to them and once they have reached around 50 hours of usage most cans should be near full break in. But I don't think you will be able to stand the harsh highs. Many describe their ears as "bleeding" when listening to unburned in cans.

Must breaking in be done right from the start (otherwise your headphones are pretty much screwed for life) or can it be done at any point in time?

As long as they are used for over 100 hours, most headphones should be already fully broken in. Breaking in is like using new furniture until the "new smell" fades away due to prolonged usage. Why people recommend burning in instead of just listening is because its quite hard to stand listening to new unburned cans without feeling fatigue. Plus, to reach 100 hours of running by normal usage will take 1 month taking into account you listen to them 3 hours a day.

Oh, and is it possible to OVER break in your headphones such that they break down? heh..

Yes, if you feed music to your headphones at "slightly above normal listening volume" during the first 50 hours or so, some brittle headphones will just die. I heard E888 is one earbud which dies easily from excessive volume during breaking in.

Edited by lekguan

biggrin.gif

thats the first article i read here.

of cos i'll be recommending it