Sign in to follow this  
evil-zen

ety 4 modding

After using etys for about 9 months now, I still have the problem of it being slightly uncomfortable after an hour of listening. Although my listening session seldom extends beyond an hour, I still find the comfort bothering me.

I figured that it is the white tips that are bothering me, particularly the smallest flange that extends way into my ear. So I decided to cut the smallest flange off. BTW the idea is from headfi but i can't remember who started it.

Cut off the top most part of the flange. Leave a part of the 1st layer tube there as i did a mistake of cutting it all off to the tip of the 2nd flange. This causes the filter to be almost exposed and there is a greater risk contaminating the filters. The tube is there to 'protect' the filters.

Now my etys are slightly more comfortable and sounds remain the same too! Posting this for the benefit of future and present etys owner as you need to get used to wearing it. The white tips are quite tough initially and slowly softens (and yellows) after sometime. So you might experience pain when first starting out. BTW i just realised that after using it for so long, i only just mastered the art of insertion. Fast and 100% seal.

Enjoy!

Edited by evil-zen

i remember there being some thread on head-fi that talked abt cutting the FOAM tips so that they were slightly 'shorter' so that the filter was almost exposed.

this apparently improved the bass response, made the upper end slightly softer (NOTE NOT A LOSS OF DETAIL) and overall made for a more enjoyable ety experience.

user posted image

btw, there is another shortcut method. try reversing the tips so that the biggest flange is outside and fold it back and insert.

Edited by N@Z