Sign in to follow this  
Sipher

Some electronics Qns

hi all,

i had read about some mods that can be done to my CDP.

quite tempted to try them but there are some terms and issues that i want to clarify before deciding whether to try them out or not.

here goes:

1) what are the symbols/short forms for

kilofarad;

megafarad;

microfarad;

millifarad;

nanofarad;

picofarad?

2) what's mH and DCR as in "1mH miniature Choke (14Ohm DCR)"?

3) let's say the original cap's value is 220uF 50V. can i replace it with a cap which has the value 100uF 50V/220uF 16V? or is it i can only replace it with the same value or bigger uF and V values? hope u understand what i'm trying to say.

4) what kind of cap has very low inductance?

5) must i replace a quartz crystal with a same MHz value? does the crystal have +/- leads?

6) are Cerafines considered "Super-low-Z" caps?

that's all. thanks.

Edited by Sipher

kilofarad 1000F

megafarad 1000000F

microfarad 0.000001F

millifarad 0.001F

nanofarad 0.000000001F

picofarad 0.000000000001F

2) what's mH and DCR as in "1mH miniature Choke (14Ohm DCR)"?

mili Henry = unit for inductance

14 ohm maybe for DC resistance

3) 50V rating and any value of capacitance

4) Film maybe

5) Dunno... tongue.gif

To add on,

1) In your course of diy, you'll won't be encountering Kilo, mega or even milli farad.

Symbol for, Microfarad =uF, Nanofarad=nF, picoFarad =pF. 1uF=1000nF, and 1nF=1000pF.

3) If you're replacing cap, it's best to know what cap you're replacing. If it's power filtering cap, having higher uF value would benefit (in diminishing return that is, thus bypassing with smaller value would benefit more) but voltage should at least be the same or higher. If it's the DC coupling cap, then generally higher uF would result in more bass, subjected to the RC filtering. But having more bass doesn't neccessary mean better sound, coz it's more taxing for your amp so sometimes it's just good enough to replace the same value with a audio grade one. Gotta to trial & error, or if lazy like me just read others recommendation.

4) ???

5) Clock should be the same frequency.

6) ???

Edited by jtfoo

thanks jason and jtfoo.

can i still get "0.1uF or greater Stacked foil polystyrene cap (must be less than 1/8" thick)" from shops?

i asked because i had tried searching RS components site and couldnt find this kind of cap.

what voltage should i get?

in case u need to know more here's the site

here's a pic of a similar mod found in www.acoustica.org.uk

user posted image

Edited by Sipher

do all clocks have the same power requirement?

is there a audio-grade clock?

It's very rare to have polystrene cap to such high value at 0.1uF... But maybe I haven't look hard enough..

the guys at echoloft should have more knowledge with clock mods. The audio grade clock I've heard are the XO clock.. Sorry can't help here as I never did a clock mod.

ok let's say if i cant get polystyrene cap, what other kinds of caps can i get that can do the same job?

ok let's say if i cant get polystyrene cap, what other kinds of caps can i get that can do the same job?

Next best try Polypropylene. Evox Rifa should have them in 0.1uF (blue color). There's a shop at SLT basment that has alot of Rifa caps. Can't remember the name of the shop. Turn left if your climbing down the stairs from the entrance, located at a corner.

hey sipher , anything in mind??? wink.gif

want to mod CD player???

Good luck..

thanks.

anyway i'm just following instructions on the website.

i hope i can do it. happy.gif

i just learnt that for quartz clock, there's ppm value and a pF value.

i suppose the lower the ppm the better?

does it matter what pF value to use?

i`d recommend you dump a simple MKP cap since its a bypass cap. you could use things like a $0.20 unbranded one, to a $1 solen cap, to a $40 auricap. in my opinion, don`t worry too much about these sorta things, lower Z caps doesn`t ultimately mean better sound.

i would recommend over specing the powersupply. too much capacitance normally darkens the sound you loose quite a chunk of dynamics.

my style would be to listen to the original caps and decide on what i need. if the bass is thin and you suspect the component to be at fault, you should add about 50% more and have a listen. it is common to get more bass and bass detail from a larger cap bank but, you might experience a loss in dynamics. then again. start removing capacitors until there is a good compromise. just remember there is always a compromise, choose your flavour and see what you can do about it. cool.gif

Edited by hacknet

Guest Ruach

Hi Sipher,

If you intend to mod your CD63, drop me an email at ruach@starhub.net.sg

I have done a few mods for the CD63 and I will be able to guide you step by step on the mods.