Sign in to follow this  
bpribadi

JVC EX-A1

Saw it for sale at Best Denki IMM for $799. Asked the sales person for an audition, but can't make any conclusions due to the overly loud ambient sound level.

Featuring "sake" soaked wooden cone drivers... Wooo...

... you think the JVC audio enginners had one too many?

In all honesty, I believe that wood makes a good enclosure due to it's inherent ability to dampen sound and thus not colour the sound unintentionally. That's why most speakers are made from wood enclosure eh?

And to use wood as a driver kinda defeats the purpose of the nature of wood. Unless, of course, the engineers intentionally wants to tame the sound and make it wolly.

Today I had a chance to listen to A1 system.

I brought my own CDs, and played around 3-4 songs. I'm not very sure whether there is any equalizer or tone control, I didn't have the time to learn about it, so I just listen without knowing if there was any tone control on or off. But seems that there was no equalizer on at that time.

My first impression, very impressive micro system, the best that I ever heard. For SGD 750.- and the small size, it is very impressive yes.gif

The sound. Vocal sounds very neutral and open, excellent. The treble sounds bright, a little bit to bright for me, but never sounds too sharp and harsh. So I still can live with the treble. The bass is impressive for such a small speaker with one driver. Sufficient for easy listening, but for me I would add subwoofer, I like deep bass w00t.gif

Compare to my Yamaha Piano Craft E100 (the old model with 60Watt x 2 Amp), the Yamaha is about the same price (until now with the new model E400) with the EX-A1, bigger in size, and also sounds bigger. But my E100 only plays CD, the EX-A1 plays almost everything. Mid and High, the Yamaha sounds bolder, but the EX-A1 slightly more neutral and brighter. With subwoofer, I would love to have the EX-A1.

I will post an update when any of my friend bought EX-A1, and pair it with subwoofer. I think the Yamaha subwoofer YST-SW015, for price and size, is a good match with EX-A1 (I have the old YST-SW320).

http://www.yamaha.co.jp/english/product/av/index.html

post-2-1086623267.gif

Edited by bpribadi

Hi bpribadi,

nice of you to post the review here. Are you looking to buy a micro system? If you are going for looks, this system doesn't look too bad at all. Honestly, it's something I want to have, though I would rather leave the grill on.

May I suggest another alternative : Panasonic

It doesn't look so cool. In fact, it looks gadgetry. Like out of some lousy japanese design books, with large LED displays and all. Not that pretty. But take a listen to the sound. It's pretty decent. 1400W PMPO music! Hahaha... ok ok, I know how it iritates the hell out of audioheads like us to hear the PMPO ratings. Anyway, seriously, it's bi-amped at 70W per channel, and bi-wired speakers. Though the wiring looks dubious. Haha. I bought it for my wifey for her to listen to her music (it plays VCD,mp3,wma as well) and has a five disc changer. And I myself got impressed by the sound a $350 integrated machine makes these day!

See the Panasonic SC-PM148 here.

Thanks for the info! I'm aware Panasonic makes great machines too cool.gif Their PCDP ussually sounds good.

Anyway when we talk about mid and high (not to fair to talk about bass for small system), it will all goes back to personal taste. Sometime a system that no so costly can sounds better to my ears than a system cost 3 times of it. To be objective, we need to compare it side by side with CDs that familiars to us.

I'm impressed with the neutral sound of the mid and high of the EX-A1. When compare to the bi-amp Panasonic SC-PM148, maybe Panasonic will win in the overall big sound and bass, but might not have the neutral mid and high as the EX-A1. Anyway I will try the panasonic if I had the chance.

I'm not buying the EX-A1, but my friends (2 persons) might. I will tell them to try the panasonic as well. But these days people also looking for the looks wink.gif

Yah man, looks costs money lar. I just suggested based on the fact that it's half the price. smile.gif Anyway, I don't listen out to big sound and bass. I am more interested in the neutrality of sound. To the extend that my friends comment that I like my music flat. But that's not true, I like my music tonally correct. How else can you be sure that the music is how the musician wanted it to be? Big bass might not be what was intended. I agree with you on that stand.

Actually, may I again suggest a song from Kit Chan,Zi Yao Gong Ni Huo Yi Tian in Snow Wolf Lake for you to listen to the neutrality and tonal accuracy of the system. At the 1.5 min mark, when she stretches her voice in the last word, like tinnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn....... then you can quite easily mark the system's tonal capability apart. If it sounds like an instrument making that sound, it's not right. On very balanced system, you can actually tell that it's human voice.

Again, just my thoughts and little experiences, sharing. smile.gif Cheers and have fun!