Sign in to follow this  
llcla

Isolation problem...Sony EX-71

Sorry to post my problem in my first post, but i cant seems to get a good isolation when i use my newly bought ex-71. Many of you in this forum claimed that this earphone is able to provide good isolation but when i wear it, i dont get that 'oh, its so quiet' feeling no.gif In fact, i can still hear the sound from my tv or my pc which is very dissapointing. I tried using all 3 types of sizes provided by them but none of them seems to give a good isolation.

Really really hope someone can help me here. Dont know if I wore it wrongly or i expected too much from the earphones. If i dont get it to work, i'm think i'll have to sell it away

Edited by llcla

Probably the 'good' definition is different tongue.gif

Did you insert them deep enough into the ear canal? They are different than earphone, which normally we can just 'hang' it on the ears, this one need to be pushed into the ear canal.

I think i did push it deep enuff. I pushed it in until there is only the rounded part of the earphone left outside.

Can define your 'good' definition? I just want an earphone that I can set the volume and dont have to change in whenever i walk into a different environment. Currently, I still have to increase the volume whenever I go into a bus or the mrt.

Well, for the 'good' definition of the isolation, must ask those who like isolation. Not me, my cans are open type, I don't really like isolation, and I only listen to music at home or in office, quiet places only grado.gif

The sonys don't actually provide a lot of isolation. But it is A LOT for someone who has just been introduced to isolating cans. Your best bet would be to go with either the Etys or the Shures, keeping in mind that if isolation is the largest factor for you, the foamies are always worth a try. Do note that either the shures or the etys are slightly more of a hassle (depending on the sleeve used, tri flange for shures due to the long stalk and foamies being the most troublesome IMO) to insert compared to the sonys which are like just-slide-it-in, very much like non-isolating earbuds. The looser fit/softer sleeve is probably also why they don't isolate so well as much as they are comfortable.

Thanks for the replies. Really appreciate it. Its my first time using isolated earphones actually but I dont feel any significant difference from the normal earphones. I mean I can actually even hear the sound of the CPU fan that is situated next to me!!! The only difference is i can now hear my own breathing and the sound of the wind blowing my earphone wire which is a step back for isolation (more noise and no reduction of noise) sad2.gif

Maybe there is a defect on the fitting of your ex-71? Try twisting your ex-71 while inserting it into your ears. And also pull out your ears while inserting it. Its a 2-handed operation. I don't think the isolation could be so bad that you can hear you cpu fan spinning...

I don't think so mmatrix. The fitting for the EXs are idiot-proof.

llcla: Try grinding your teeth, if they sound significantly louder than with the earphones off then it should not be a fit problem. Also try playing some music with the earphones one and see if it sounds louder from one side. If not, then there is nothing wrong with the fit. I have the EX70s and as I type now listening to some music with them on I can still hear myself typing (though sounds faint). Thats about the amount of isolation it can only provide.

About the sound of wind blowing its actually microphonics. Whenever there is tension on the cord leading to the isolating earphones (i.e. no slack), and the cable rubs against anything (esp shirt) there is this awkward sound. In the sonys it sounds like wind howling. Thats microphonics.

Err do you use ADDA 80mm 50cfm case fans? Or Thermaltake CPU fans? biggrin.gif

Thanks! A good description there. Gives me a picture to compare with. smile.gif But in that case, isnt it the same as the normal earphone?

hhehe... using the office comp now. Lousy one I assume (dunno wat's a ADDA or a thermaltake tongue.gif ). The CPU unit sounds like it is about to die unsure.gif

Definitely not the same. It does provide a little isolation, much better than without any.

Anyway ADDA, Thermaltake, just plain noisy fans that push a lot of air thats all.

I suspect your ear-canal must be different from the larger population for I can only hear my breathing and very little of ambient noise when I use the medium and large size buds. However, I suggest U give it some time for the silicon buds may need regular use to conform to your ear canal.

Edited by Mackie

Mine's definitely not that sophisticated fans. Just some old and lousy ones.

Hmm... in that case definitely there are some problems here. I dont get any difference with normal earphones. Or at least i dont feel it.

But i'll keep trying....

Thanks mackie. Gives me some hope wink.gif

But wat if you are in the MRT or on the bus and when ppl in front of you talk?

I don't know what's wrong with the fitting on yours but I always risk missing my train station with EX70 in my ears cos' I could not hear the broadcast albeit playback volume is low. Your problem baffles me.

Yup, I agree with Mackie. When I wear the earbuds on the bus, I can't hear if someone presses the alight button or not. Once I missed my stop because I thought the guy standing by the exit pressed, but actually he didnt. But occasionally I can hear the TV mobile if it is turned on loud enough.

But the earphones don't block out all ambient noise. I travel on the bus on the AYE, it's very noisy. Before boarding the bus, the volume control is at mid point. Once I get onto the AYE proper, I have to increase to 3/4 point to get the "same" perceived volume. But when I was using regular earphones last time, I had to listen at max volume on the AYE.

llcla, maybe you are using the wrong size earbuds. Try the large if it is not uncomfortable.