Sign in to follow this  
Ny0ng1

Please help a newbie in headphone recommendation

IMO it is hard to get one can that suit all round purpose i.e music/movie/gaming.

I just believe the emphasis is different for each sound reproduction for music/movie/gaming.

The grado sr80 is comfortable with senn pad, the original pad is not comfortable physically to my ear.

For movie i use the senn wireless rs85. i find it good and practical for movie but for music from a good source other than tv, the sound reproduction is just not right.........

Hi (ablaze ask people to say hi  tongue.gif)

i am practically new to audio and headphones. Willing to know and experience more but have little $$$ to back it up haha...

I started to have interest in headphone when i was reading about torchlights and other things at dansdat. Then through a few hyperlinks, i stumbled upon another review in the same site that reviewed dt880 here. And he present an analogy of headphone to speakers as motorcycles to cars.

he said: for the price of basic family sedan, you can purchase a super cycle that can out accelerate almost any street legal cars and a lot of racing cars  biggrin.gif  haha...

since then, i try to source for a good and affordable headphone for my usage. I tried to post in hwz (my favourite forum) and the people there recommend me to go here. and here i am  happy.gif

okay, lets go into my situation.

i need a recommendation of a headphone. my usage pattern for headphone will be wide accross music, movie and gaming. Duration is long (2 hours at least to 6 hours, average 4 hours). Because of that i think i'll better off with a full sized circumaural headphone, umm... am i right?

the mp3s are coded at 128-192kbps.

It will be connected to my Audigy X-Gamer soundcard

After a few part timing job, I have about $100-150 spare budget for a headphone. I dont mind 2nd hand stuff at all... I've been buying and selling for hundred times in hwz anyway..

few hours after browsing the forum, i found a few models that may fit my price range:

philips hp890

sony mdr-7506 / v6

sony mdr-d66sl

grado sr80

audio technica ath a-500

sennheiser hd280

sennheiser hd200

some of them are higher than the budget but im prepared to go higher if necessary and if im lucky i may get them within the budget with a 2nd hand stuff.

I put in the sr80 since so many people here recommend it and it has a very good review all over the world altough its a supraaural can. Will it be uncomfortable for a 2-4 hours of listening?

so please recommend me on which hp should i go and why. or maybe you have any of them for sale for me, please let me know  tongue.gif

im sorry for the lengthy first post and thank you in advance  kicking.gif

Hi NyOng1,

Try Senn 497(silver in color), it may be what you are looking for. You may want to go to the sennheiser web site to take a look. Have fun and happy hunting. laugh.gif

Edited by Charismatic

let me concur with Charismatic. i haven't had much experience with other headphones. i am still using the HD497 for 1.5 years now without complains (except with the itch to upgrade).

often using it directly into CDP/int amp without any headamp. its comfortable for extended usage. meets your budget (new~S$100). versatile for wide range of music. even light enough for PCDP.