Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

Xinfeed ampless

This is Dr. Xin Feng's ampless version of the xinfeed which requires absolutely no amp to use crossfeed. Plug it into any headphones out and plug your headphones in, like that:

user posted image

Its really small.

I received it in my mail yesterday.

Here are some closeups:

user posted image

user posted image

user posted image

Can see a little of the innards here. Haha.

(Click on any above photo to open a large version)

Link: http://www.fixup.net/products/pktamp/xinaddon.htm

How is it? It does what its said to do. crossfeed.

Yes, all info available in the website, of which the link I have provided. It's relatively new (I ordered after it came out for about 3 days) hence its relatively impossible to get 2nd hand.

sounds like the headphones out with crossfeed. It doesn't alter the sound. I do notice a volume drop (slight) with E1 but not with any other headphones.

The effect of crossfeed really depends from cans to cans. Its something better tried then read. Less in-head is definite but because of that vocals sound darn awkward, and needs to get used to. Soundstage really depends. I don't notice much difference in soundstaging. It does make DT931 and KSC35 sound brighter, which i found a little unbearable. It worked well with E1.

3 words sum it all up: Reduce listening fatigue. That is, with canalphones.

Some people prefer to listen with crossfeed on, others don't. So its really useless trying to say how it alters the sound. Try it for yourself, maybe with other kinds of crossfeeds (like Pinkfloydd crossfeed, Jan Meier's crossfeed, etc.) and get an idea of how crossfeed is like.

for $24.99 plus shipping is rather alot for me.

Though i am interested when you mentioned that "less in-head" sound. This particular aspect of headphone sound reproduction is something for me to get use to and sometime make me to stick to my speaker system. but there are time that i have to use headphone (to keepthe music tomyself and not to disturb others).

Trust me, the difference is very subtle with open headphones. If you were thinking about speakers, its nowhere near that. If you want the effect of listening to speakers I'm afraid no headphones can do it. If you like the way headphones sound, then the crossfeed may compliment that. If you are looking for something to make your headphone speaker-like, I think its out of the question.

But I must say if you use canalphones its a very worthy consideration, though not everyone will like crossfeed.

I know $24.99 is quite a sum so I told you to try other crossfeeds, e.g. someone who owns corda amps. I could have let you try but I'm busy for these few months.

Hey, what a cute little thing happy.gif What a good idea wink.gif

Nice Macros lekguan yes.gif

Trust me, the difference is very subtle with open headphones.

Do you mean it will be more effective with the closed type?

Not all crossfeed sound the same and different amount of crosstalk+delay will change soundstaging. Units such as Corda's allows stepped adjustment to achieve desired effect. Nonetheless, all crossfeeds will reduce the seemingly 270 deg soundstage width to about 180 deg and lesser. Soundstage depth is perceived to be deeper as a result. Main idea is to emulate soundstaging dimensions closer (and yet nowhere as close) to speakers. The results is often desired as user will experience much less fatigue with crossfeed introduced to cans systems as the in-your-head effect is alleviated. IMO, opinions will swing from love-it to hate-it while I'm all in favour of crossfeed. However, experience it before commiting in a purchase. To me, the effects are apparent with open or close designs but overall still subtle.

Edited by Mackie