Sign in to follow this  
aaa

output Cap mod of Creative Jukebox 3

Just finished modding my Creative Jukebox 3 in the middle of night.

user posted image

case opened

user posted image

Zoom in...

originally I thought the two 47uF/10v caps are the output caps, which are surprisingly small. In fact that was what made me decided on the mod.

Just before starting modding, which multimeter I found out that the yellow Tantalum cap is the actual output cap for one channel, with the other one on the back of PCB around the same position.

227J means 220uF +-5%, which is reasonably good.

There goes my hope of dramatic improvement.

I parrallel each of the yellow cap with a Sanyo OS-CON SP 680uF/6.3V and a Wima MPS-? 0.56uF/63V.

The mod is successful even though I almost destroyed the PCB.

Due to the gigantic amount of free space inside jukebox3, The trace or wire are all within 3cm.

The improvement of sound is noticeble (comparison done when only one channel is modded, too bad did not try any rock sound), but not big. More test is needed.

because my digicam is in service now, pics of the final work will only be posted later.

Edited by aaa

I got problem, cannot see the pics no.gif

Cool mod! Congrats! thumbup1.gif If the DC offset is not high, you can even remove the caps wink.gif

You are right, I never even measure the DC off-set.

The biggest 8-leg TSSOP chip between the yellow cap and the two 47uF/10V cap with unclear lable of MV??? (actually is MV358I) should be the output stage dual op-amp, TI LMV358.

From data sheet LMV358 is a single voltage opamp, i.e. instead of having V+ and V- connections, it has Vcc+ and GND.

From my understanding, that means the Vout will swing between Vcc and ground instead of between V+ and V-, so the DC output should be at 1/2 Vcc+, making the DC blocking capacitors mandatory.

I remember that the voltage across the 220uF yellow Tant cap while the jukebox is playing was about 1.5v, which as I think back support the above theory.

Please correct me if I'm wrong.

next time will try to mod the main/op-amp power capacitors, but 1st have to locate them...

The stupid norton internet security always screw up my IIS FTP and HTTP service!

now changed to singnet free 2MB space.

Edited by aaa