red_ryder

EX71 dying soon, need recommendations

After 1 year of heavy usage, it appears that my EX71 is dying. The sound in the right earbud sometimes fades in and out. I read in Ipod forums that this earphone is not known for long life and a lot of other people also encountered this problem. Needless to say, I won't get another one as a replacement.

Actually, if not for the lifespan of the earphones I am quite happy with it. It is the most comfortable pair of earbuds that I have ever used, most other earphones I tried give me pain after no more than 30 minutes. Music quality was also satisfactory.

My budget for a replacement is less than $100 if possible, and most important factor is comfort followed by music quality and finally lifespan. Also, I'm only looking at earphones cos wearing a headphone in the office looks a bit extreme.

thanks in advance!

Edited by red_ryder

Let's see:

-Sharp MD33 ($63 at bluetin)

==Getting favourable reviews at head-fi ATM. Shaped much like EX71.

-Panasonic HJE502 ($59 at teamdigital)

==Again, another EX71 look-alike.

-Sony E888 ($72 for LP version)

==Some people have complaints of short lifespan too. Sounds quite different from the EX71 reputedly.

-A-T ATH-CM5 ($77)

==Should be quite comfortable.

-Sennheiser MX500 ($30+)

==Uncomfortable for some — too big.

i personally own the EX71 and PAnasonic RP-HJE50

1)Sony EX71 at $80

Very tight bass(to the extend that some songs become too boomy liaoz) , less mid and almost no high, more forgiving type of headphone. That mean u would probably fall asleep while listening to it.. If u a bass head go for it.

2)Panasonic RP-HJE50 Earphones at $50++

More mid bass and high then EX71, Better for vocal and rock. Can hear more details then the EX71. Much louder (much easily driven) then the EX71. MOre a kind of ALL ROUNDER ear bud. Can audit at http://shop.w3cube.com/index.php?ma...&products_id=62

3) SHarp MD33 at $63(price from BLUETIN.com)http://bluetin.com/stores/singapore/shop.html

From lots of review sites and users, this are the most detail earplug of the 3. Bass is not as tight as EX71 but well controlled. If u using remote control then skip this. This because it using 4 pole connector(for sharp MD remote control) unless u use its extension which is 3 poles.

I been listening to the panasonic ever since i got it few weeks ago. I personally prefer the bass of the panasonic one and to the extend that i shake my body almost to dance in the mrt after listening to it..

All the above in ear bud comes with 3 size of silicon ear buds. U have to try and see which size suit yr ears. After plug in those earplugs bite yr teeths to get the best seal. U would feel some pressure inside yr ear canels and u can't hear a single thing from the surrounding(not very loud surrounding lar).

Everyone ears and preferences is different so it is best u go and audit them before spending the $$$. Happy looking for yr own earbud/ headphone..

the bass for ex71 is no where near tight, hell its even boomier than my px200 i tink, its so bloated and disgusting, among all the earphones and headphones i own, i hate this one the most. i cant describe how i feel when i hear its sound

the bass for ex71 is no where near tight, hell its even boomier than my px200 i tink, its so bloated and disgusting, among all the earphones and headphones i own, i hate this one the most. i cant describe how i feel when i hear its sound

For some song the bass is tight maybe due to how the song is encode.. some really too boomy liaoz..