Sign in to follow this  
tropicalrips

pocket radio mod

started this new tread after comments from N@Z smile.gif

its a sanyo pocket radio that i'm attempting to mod, i actually bought this radio to burn-in the HD595, my old Sony digital pocket radio turns itself off after 90mins of play.

user posted image

as u can see, nothing fancy on this radio, there's a switch at the top, 3 positions - off - AM - FM stereo, tunning wheel, volume wheel and stereo jack

user posted image

this picture shows the 3 caps that i've already changed out, i was not sure what values to use, but base on Dr Xin's site it seems that bigger is always better tongue.gif so i fit it with 10v 470uF caps

user posted image

here u can see the 3 original caps that i've removed, there are a few more smaller caps on the board which i plan to change later when i find the same size caps with larger capacity.

i also soldered a length of copper wire onto the ground contact of the jack, according to Xin's site, the ground wire is also used as antenna

i'm not really sure how much improvement the mod makes, will compare it later with an original unmodded version, but it is driving my HD595 now, and i can hear the bass of the headphone

Edited by tropicalrips

Good job! It baffles me how the larger caps manage to be squeezed in!

Maybe you should try it with the Sony SRF-S83/S84. It would make a cheaper alternative to buying from the Fixup site. Since the said pocket radio is sold cheaper in SG. I see a pocket radio shoot out coming in the near future, eh blues?

i'll most likly be in SLT tomorrow to look for those small caps and also to stock up on some resistors smile.gif

i hav also ordered a new transformer from farnell for my new amp, should be here tomorrow

i'll go look for the sony SRF-S83/S84, i don't see them in SLS, only see lots of mp3 players tongue.gif i think SLT will hav more radios

back from SLT, found the Sony SRF-S84 list price $59, lowest price i got was $55...is it a good price?