Sign in to follow this  
digi01

DIY for beginners

This is my new design,a chip based headamp(RA1).its minimize parts and wire.I make this PCB that is VERY easy to do.

I am glad to encourage new people to go into DIY.

Mod edit:

Image removed.

Edited by N@Z

it looks nice.

group buy?

I would appreciate if you can make low voltage tube amp PCB.. tongue.gif

Thanks in advance.

Edited by huangyong

for those pcb layout fans,here is my protel ddb file.feel free to use it.

Mod edit:

Attachment removed.

Edited by N@Z

My advice to you is to scrap the "RA-1 Clone", "4556" and "Solen 5uF" tags from the board layout and make some modifications to the circuit.

What you're currently doing is not legal and forum rules would not allow such a post. Also, I do not think the local Grado Distributor would not like this.

Yea. agree with fire-fox. just scrap the ra-1 clone. and change the resistor value abit la. i wonder Grado had patented that circuit. tongue.gif

Perhaps you can remove the photo from your post or photoshop out the words

RA-1 Clone. I think the MBD guys(local grado distributers) read this forum once in a while. Please do not get anyone in trouble.

Edited by av98m

Sometimes I wonder what legal ground does Grado has? The circuit they used is nothing more than a text book non-inverting opamp configuration. Can someone copyright a text-book circuit just becoz he has selected a few components?

I don't like to put input caps on my gain clone amp, I might even add a zobel using only solen caps carbon resistors. Can I patent these just becoz I chose those components using existing circuit?

I think the problem is not so much the circuit design on that PCB(although the interesting choice of the opamp and the solen caps is quite unique to the RA-1. No one else thought of using that particular combination until the amp was taken apart). Its the words "RA-1 Clone" that are incriminating, because then you can be accused of using their name to sell the pcb.

With the wording removed, that pcb is perfect for beginners! Simple design and cheap components, good sound too. I'd buy a couple myself to play with.

Edited by av98m

Sometimes I wonder what legal ground does Grado has? The circuit they used is nothing more than a text book non-inverting opamp configuration. Can someone copyright a text-book circuit just becoz he has selected a few components?

Its the words "RA-1 Clone" that are incriminating, because then you can be accused of using their name to sell the pcb.

You guys are very right! I'm agree with both of you! They can't claim their simple non-inverting circuit is their propietary circuit, but selling the PCB using their amp's name is also not right. It's not the circuit that matters, it's the name. The circuit is no different than a CMoy, with different resistors value.

Just like PPA and Pimeta, the names are refering to the PCB not the circuits wink.gif So, actually we cannot make Pimeta or PPA without the original PCB.

Yup, got it. You guys are right. It's about using the good name of RA-1, where Grado spent some money in marketing it. But using the exact brand and values of caps & resistor shouldn't breach any copyright issues too right?