Sign in to follow this  
wil

Audio Tehnica ATH-ES5 "EarSuit"

Hey All!

Been a good day today. Watched Electrico and Corrinne May at the Esplanade ( dang...she was using the E5Cs )

And got the earsuits!

Firstly, i must say that the packaging is very nice. AT has all that japanese minialist thing going on here..haha...

First thing i notice is that its lighter than my current PX200. Folding mechanism is rather innovative, yet the PX200 seems easier to fold and at times, less troublesome. But the ES5s are smaller than the PX200.

First impressions.

Although it might seem closed, its isolation isnt as good as the PX200s. I would say halfway btw the Eggos and PX200s. It does a commendable job on the bus though.

Fit and comfort. The ES5s are comfy, the earpads dont clamp down hard and afterawhile seem non-exsistant. The headband is rather tight though but nevertheless comfy. There is no band-adjustment to adjust for fit, but rather, the ES5s use an innovative method called "Swing Adjust System" to adjust for fit. Instead of the band moving the housing of the drivers swivel around a joint to fit for size.

Build quality is solid, with all moving parts "clicking" solidly and moving smoothly. I esp like the subtle mat finish of the plastic.

Sound. im currently in the process of burning in my earsuits with Outkast's "Speakerboxx" but primary listening reveals the ES5s to be very CLEAR. my PX200s seem supremely veiled compared to the clarity of the earsuits. Timing , precision and clarity seems to the forte of the ES5s upon first listen. Mid-range is esp sweet with a rather nice treble ( that can be abit harsh at times, but i suspect burn-in will tame it )

Bass is there, but is not the ampiflied kind of bass found on my PX200s. It's polite and at times shy even, but with Speakerboxx on repeat duty tonite, i certainly hope that will change! haha....

The ES5s seem to give the PX200s a good run for its money, esp with that very sweet midrange and clarity which seems lacking in the PX200s ( Infact, i was surprised to find me comparing the clarity somewhat akin to my Grado SR-125s, but kinda lacking the impact. But timing, pace and rhythm were similar. )

Time will soon tell who is the king of portables........but the fight is rather close for now.

Will report back with more findings if i have the time.

Note : listening was done on a Creative Zen touch with Mp3s encoded at 256 and connected to a A47 portable amp.

where u got your pair from wil? happy.gif

i saw them in Hung Bros but no chance to try them yet

hey Rips...hung bro lor...where else? haha

Still burning them in now.... = P

Lensherr...i cant really tell u now as it isnt fair because i want to let the ATs get pass their burn-in period first...but ill check back with more findings soon!