Sign in to follow this  
guguchiao

Portable Amp for the Iriver H320 / H340 ?

hi,

would like to enquire if any Iriver H3xxx users could comment on this.

I saw that there is a line-out on my H320, could I juz connect a portable-amp to this Line-out ?

I find it a bit strange tat when I connect my headphone directly to the line-out, it sounds almost as loud as when I connect it to the H320's earphone socket, but when I use a portable amp to this line-out, my headphones sounds even softer than no Amp is used ??? wacko.gif

On the IPOD, the line-out (optional accessories) will only sounds amplified when a portable amp is used...

Izzit a limitation of the H3xxx series that a porable amp cannot be use with it ?

Edited by guguchiao

when I connect my headphone directly to the line-out, it sounds almost as loud as when I connect it to the H320's earphone socket,

You must be listening very loud normally blink.gif

An amplifier will increase the gain in the signal of the line out of your portable. Therefore something must be wrong if the situation is as you describe. Check to see if the amp is working. The line out of the Iriver H320 can be amped with the proper equipment.

when I connect my headphone directly to the line-out, it sounds almost as loud as when I connect it to the H320's earphone socket,  maybe I have to set the master volume to 30  to fix this issue.

You must be listening very loud normally blink.gif

no.. my fren was listening to his Ipod with his Grado 325 connected to the portable amp, I ask him to let me listen and found it in a confortable volume, so I juz pull out his connection to his Ipod and transfer (together with his amp) to the line-out of my H320 and it is so soft that its hardly heard.... but if u just plug just your headphone to the Line-out, it sounds ok... so I'm quite puzzle why with a Amp, the sound decreases instead of increase (infact its exactly the same as if u plug into ur headphone out) ... u may need the H3xxx to understand .. coz the line-out and headphone out seems to sound as loud when connected directly with a headphone or earphone (line-out should not have enough power to drive your phones right ?? unsure.gif ) Also read some info regarding the H3xxx line-out from This Link

Edited by guguchiao

Is his Ipod connected to the amp via a line out?

The amp is connected to his IPOD via Line-out using the Pocket Dock.

IPOD do not have Line-out, but you can buy the Pocket Dock that will connects directly to the IPOD's line-out circuitry bypassing the headphone equalizer and amplifier circuitry.

I think H3xxx Line-out may not bypass the internal amp and equalizer in this case.

Edited by guguchiao

Yeah, I know. The Ipod can be amped using either the PocketDock or Sik Din. And the Ipod line out for the Ipod Mini does not bypass the equalizer, ie you can still use the equalizer with the line out.

I read from sendstation website which says the PocketDock could bypass the headphone equalizer and amplifier circuitry.. so that the line-out is a true line-out.

I believe this feature is one advantage it has over the H3xxx series for users who want to get most out of the line out of their portables...

http://www.ipodessentials.co.uk/products/a...nPDLineOut.html

Edited by guguchiao

ok, will check and get back..

but one thing for sure is that for the H3xxx , u need to adjust the volume to 25 to 30 inorder for an external portable amp to use it whereas the IPOD is not bother by this.

Edited by guguchiao

just check with my colleage again, yes, his line-out frm the pocket-dock do bypass the equlizer and volume control circuitry.

Appreciate the clarification. Thks!