Sign in to follow this  
Username

PIMETA question

Thanks heady:

I just realised that I have got a problem. I forgot to buy the C1 cap (supposed to be 0.22uF 63V) but I am too lazy blush.gif to go down to SLS again. But I have a 0.1uF 100V cap, can I use what I have in place of the original spec c1?

Sry for being such a bonehead. tongue.gif

hi username, I omitted C1 from my Pimeta. This is necessary only if your source has DC offset. Which you can check by measuring the voltage from left channel to signal ground and the right channel to signal ground. It is usually less than 20 mV (according to the experts, I am just repeating). Unless the DC offset is more than 20mV, you don't need C1. Believe me, the Pimeta will sound better without it. BTW, my sources never have more than 0mV offset. happy.gif

PS - if forgetting a component is being bonehead, then my head is solid bone. biggrin.gif

To measure DC offset do I minus the right-gnd with left-gnd reading?

does 20mV include the gain multiplication already?

No, each measurement is separate. You just state for left channel, DC offset is so much and right channel is so much. You will have to measure this too on the output after the amp is finished, to ensure it is safe to plug your headphones in. You can read a better explanation in Tangent's site.

http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/input-cap.html

Sorry, my mistake, the 20mV figure refers to the output DC offset acceptable to headphones, not the input DC offset. Anyway, I am not sure of the exact figure. Usually there is very little offset.

Question:

I am wondering if I should connect the power supply (2 9-volts) in parallel or series. I know that in series, the voltage will increase thus giving the amp more power, but I don't need so much voltage knowing that I'll prolly power only low-impedence Grados. So will putting the batteries in parallel help improve the battery life?

Another question:

Are there any reccomended brands for rechargable 9-volts.

Username, may i know what opamp you use? general opamp dislike to operate in low voltage condition. Putting in parrallel might improve the battery life. just my 2cent.