Sign in to follow this  
huangyong

Gilmore - Replaced -

Due to the heat problem that the gilmore has, i decided to take it out and send bakc to digi01 to see what can be done. In the meantime, having cash shortage troubles, so thought of this idea to use the casing of the current gilmore and make brand new PSU and amp and sell.. hope to get some $$ for my travel.

Here's it, the XP-7 wanna be amp.

Birdee View

user posted image

PSU

user posted image

The amp

user posted image

UpSkirt

user posted image

Face

user posted image

Body

user posted image

Butt

user posted image

The amp is using opamp + buffer simple design, specialy tweaked for midrange, using low value resisotr to bring down noise level as much as possible.

The PSU is a bit special, using 78/7915 with a opamp for feedback, some source claims that it is as good as battery, so just try out.

Overall sounds detailed, good midrange, very good 3D positioning, good soundstage, but not very powerful (of coz not as powerful as gilmore tongue.gif). Overall, for that simple design, the amp is perfectly good. if interested, see u in classified. kicking.gif

Using opamp to feedback the regulators may or may not improve the regulation until further test are perform. If the opamp PSSR sucks than you are in trouble.

What I've seen on the web is they put an 18V regulator follow by another 15V regulator. Theoratically you can get -160dB if each regulator gives -80dB.

jasonhanjk, i've tried the 2 stage regulation you said in my previous preamp for my dad, sounds good, but it will get hot for the first stage regulator.

but it will get hot for the first stage regulator.

Don't supply too high voltage. 3 volts higher is enough. If your first stage is 18V, give it's input around 21-22V (rectified 16 volts AC from the transformer secondary).

Or you may want to try RC-RC configuration.

A 1 ohm resistor follow by 10,000uF cap then another 1 ohm resistor then another 10,000uF cap then your regulator. Super regulation... party.gif

A -40dB per octave low pass filter @ 16Hz.

Bram, what i supply is just 15-0-15 tranny to feed a 15V regulator, then follwed by 12V, should be ok, may be ,my heatsink too small. tongue.gif

Using opamp to feedback the regulators may or may not improve the regulation until further test are perform. If the opamp PSSR sucks than you are in trouble.

jason, the PSSR of a NE5332 should be better than the opamp in the regulator itself.