Huma Dragonbane

Hey guys, need ya opinion on this...

I'm split between the two above. I'll be honest, I've yet to listen to the alessandro ms-2 but I've seen people recommending it over the 325, why is that? Anyway I want as much detail as possible as well as having the cans sound as neutral as possible. Which would headphone would suit my needs better?

I'm told that I could purchase the alessandro in aus. Anyone can confirm this? Thanks. smile.gif

Alessandro will suit u better if u goes for neutral sound... Grado has this characteristics of too much high. It pairs well with player and amp using opamps that is more laid back. However it is the HIGH of the grado that makes Grado fun to listen with..

Thanks nakedtoes. Anyway I've read in a few places that the 325i has slightly more detail than the rs-1 though the rs-1 has more warmth and dynamics. Any truth to those statements? It is the main contributing factor as to why I'm going for the 325i over the rs1. Unfornately I just reformatted my pc and I no longer have links to the web pages that described the 325i as being more detailed.

By the way I'm thinking of investing in a DAC, do you think it would help the sound, plus would using normal power cords affect the sound?

And what is the job of a pre-amp? Does it improve the sound?

So sorry for asking so much questions but i'm seriously considering upgrading my headphone setup before my hifi setup. Hope to hear from ya guys soon! Thanks! smile.gif

Have a brief listen to a new set of 325i and a fully burn in RS1 before..i would said the RS1 has more detail.. yea i know it is unfair as the 325i is still a virgin. COmmparing with my MS2i, i would said the RS1 is more colored because of the woodie enclosure. Because i listen to them with diferent source and amp my view would not be that accurate. Perhaps some bros here can help u further..

I would strongly advice u to bring yr own favorite cds to MDB and try on the SR325i and RS1..close yr eyes let yr ears do the job.. Believe in yr own ears and not too much on those reviews.

Hmm okay..reason why I'm asking is cause I don't want to be plunking down $520 and then find out that the rs-1 would have more detail. Thanks anyhow.

Also how about DACs and power cords? Quite clueless on these stuff. Any pointers? Thanks! smile.gif

I would strongly suggest that between then 2 (Grado and Allesandro) you get the new Grado SR325i. The reason is at this price it would give you peace of mind in that:

1) You will be able to audition it at Music By Design

2) If somthing should go wrong that is covered by warrenty you simplily return the set to Music By Design

3) Id somthing goes wrong after the warrenty period is over you still can get it fixed.

4) Since Alesendro is manufactured by Grado the hose sound is similar, and since Grado themselves tweaked the original SR-325 to create the SR-325i I would say the issues with the original 325 have been corrected. I have listend to the new SR-325i and I must say it is an improvement over the original SR-325.

It's always better to be able to test drive somthing and make a purchase decision, buying blind or solely on another persons opinion is a risk I would not take.

I would strongly suggest that between then 2 (Grado and Allesandro) you get the new Grado SR325i. The reason is at this price it would give you peace of mind in that:

1) You will be able to audition it at Music By Design

2) If somthing should go wrong that is covered by warrenty you simplily return the set to Music By Design

3) Id somthing goes wrong after the warrenty period is over you still can get it fixed.

4) Since Alesendro is manufactured by Grado the hose sound is similar, and since Grado themselves tweaked the original SR-325 to create the SR-325i I would say the issues with the original 325 have been corrected. I have listend to the new SR-325i and I must say it is an improvement over the original SR-325.

It's always better to be able to test drive somthing and make a purchase decision, buying blind or solely on another persons opinion is a risk I would not take.

Thanks Rams. What's your opinion of the 325i compared to the rs1 in terms of detail? Does the rs1 provide more detail? Obviously I would like to audition both but last time I went there they only had a new 325i for demo. So it wasn't quite a fair comparison.

btw OT abit, do i nid a 1/8 adapter for the SR325i if i wan to connect it str8 to an ipod?

Cypher,

Yes get it from Music By Design - cant remember the exact price but I think it's S$25.

Huma,

More resolution yes. But it's also a warmer sound. Dont forget the RS-1 drivers are different as well. In the end it's all about what you like - only listening to resolution is a sure way to go astray. In fact the RS-1 has even more resolution then the legendary Grado HP-1 but I sorta prefered the the HP-1. But in the end factors like comfort led me to sell the HP-1 :-(. It was a very sad day for me.

To me if you like the way a grado sounds then the more money you put in the better it gets. However diminishing returns always sets in. So my personal sets (the HP-1 and RS-1) were the best Grados I've listened to. However I'm well aware that many people are not willing to set aside S$1,200 for an RS-1. Hence I keep telling them to listen to the SR-225 until the new SR-325i (golden finish) came out. Having listened to these it's a real tough call. While the SR-325i is better it's also costs a bit more (S$350 vs S$520 approx - cant rem off hand). So the choice is yours. Audition both or all three - ie put the RS-1 into audition. Is the RS-1 at S$1,200 more then 100% better then the SR-325i? nope imo. But it is better all round. Is it worth the extra? To me it is. To you, only you can decide.

I hope this helps.

@Rameish

thanks, will drop by to have a look. smile.gif

Better call first they tend to run out pretty quick. It's the best 1/8- to-1/4inch adapter.

Went by music by design today. Tried both headphones again, this time side by side. Don't know if it's the same rs-325i as I tried last time cause it's been a while. Anyway, with the discs I listen to I couldn't tell the difference in detail, both were on par. But I'm glad I auditioned them first. Seems the rs-1 is really not my type. It's quite airy, at least to me, and I pretty much didn't enjoy that. I find myself surprised that I prefered a headphone that's much cheaper. Even my gal found that the rs-325i was nicer to listen to. Can't wait to get my rs325i! Unfornately because of circumstances, I've to wait till year end. sad2.gif

Oh well better late than never. Thanks for all the help given so far guys. Really appreciate it.

Better call first they tend to run out pretty quick. It's the best 1/8- to-1/4inch adapter.

alright... thanks