Sign in to follow this  
Fizban

Help! My Shure E5c!

I compared my e5c to the triport after i burned in the triport.

Erm...i don't geddit.

How come music seems more apparent, more in-your-face with the triport?

With the e5c, i felt it was more laid-back, more "veiled", like the mids and highs are muffled.

It sounded very very different, the triports felt more upfront and brighter, while the e5c felt like they are away, like behind a smoky screen.

Oh man...what's going on?

different sound presentation? I tried the shure e3c and it was veiled like you described. maybe you prefer the sound of the triport more than the e5c. maybe you'll like those grados or etys 4s.

Yeah i was thinking the same thing...oh dear...

Tried the Grados but it's too uncomfortable for me...got a splitting headache after using them for an hour.

Does that mean i am going to lose my e5c soon?

Hai...

It's simply that different phones project differently. Have you tried the chicken rice in maxell hawker and compared it with the one from bedok hawker ? happy.gif I dun mean to be rude but if they all sound or taste the same, who would care about selective buying?

The tripods are definitely more upfront and slightly high for my taste. Shure E5c are totally in a different class. Did you try listening to classical piano solos with them yet? Get some instrumental tracks with good decay. ie, piano, cello.. to really find out what you shures can do. The tripods simply are no good with these genres. Perhaps they sound good with pop songs.

Grados are definitely extremely forward sounding and harsh in some cases. Do chose you music wisely when using certain headphones. I would let Joss Stone go too near my grados...lol. But she sounds great on my Ath-D1000. biggrin.gif

Thanks guys!

idkfa! I was hoping you'd come to my rescue...heh heh

Well now i get to experience first-hand what radically different sound signature means.

I've tried solo violin pieces with the shure and triport, haven't tried with piano though.

I want "FORWARD-SOUNDING"! haha

Forward sounding would definitely be Grados. I usually listen to strings related instruments with them, while others prefer rock and faster music. I also do get uncomfortable and feel fatigue after prolonged use with the grados because of the way they sit on my ear and the forwardness. Generally people like to refit the grados with the sennheiser's yellow earpads for better comfort. The orignial Grado bowls hurt *ouch! But do note that the senn pads do make your Grados sound different from the original bowls. Do experiment and find out yourself.

This is purely my own opinion but I really do not like listening to "cheap" music, (pop, techno or britney-like music) for my Shures. Good phones simply magnify the bad stuffs in a poorly recorded album. If it's Britney or Ayumi techo madness, it's my aiwas I'm listenig to. LOL.

Do ask around and read up on Head-Fi regarding the characteristics of certain earphone/headphones. Diff genres of music showup differently on certain phones. biggrin.gif You might want to tell us your type of music and source used...etc, for better recommendations.

Haha currently i do not use any source worth mentioning.

It's basically either my ipod mini at 256kpbs, or my laptop, at the same bitrate.

Intending to get the Headroom Bithead amp in the near future. Is that a good choice?

As for music types, i listen to a variety, more of female vocals, and as for classical, mainly violin repertiore like Bach's Sonatas and Partitas as well as concertoes, but they are usually historical recordings featuring players like Oistrakh and Milstein. I do listen to pop and other types and a little but of everything, but strictly no heavy metal, industrial or anything sinister.