Sign in to follow this  
send2kc

is it advisable to buy a portable amp ?

I have been using my super.fi 5 EB earphone with Archos 420 for a couple of months and have no complain. The sound is clear and the bass is really good. The Archos is running out space and I am searching for a new HD based MP3 player. On doing some research on the net, I become very interested in portable amp and would like to try it out. However, I came across comments that low impedance earphone doesn't work well with portable amp. My 5 EB is rated at 11 ohms.

Is it advisable to put a portable amp between the MP3 player and the earphone? Would someone recommend me a suitable portable amp if it really helps to improve the sounding?

Budget for the portable amp SGD 300. Available locally preferred

Although not decided yet, I will probably get the Sony HD5

Low impedance earphones don't require an amp to realise their potential as your DAP would be able to provide enough "juice" to drive them adequately. As such, they do benefit from amps, but not substantially. Sometimes the differences are very subtle, and not worth the cost of the amp, as well as the trouble of an additional component and interconnects. Your DAP should also have a line-out in order to take full advantage of the amp. Given all these considerations, you might want to assess your situation and decide if you really require/want an amp. For starters, you can try out the PA2V2, there are quite a few reviews of it around on this forum.

Edited by Absolute0

modern mp3players have in built in them a pretty flexible equalizer for some brands.. and even without the amp.. you can actually tweak the sound to your satisfaction..