sayhitojason

Input vs output tubes - which changes sound more?

Planning to swap tubes for my amp to change the sound. Can someone enlighted me whether the change will be more drastic with the change in input or output tubes?

I am using a Mullard CV4003 for input, and JJ EL84 for output. I'm trying to achieve more bass definition but slightly lesser bass emphasis (the mid bass are a tad too loud now).

Many thanks!

Usually the input tube will create the larger impact. However, I suspect you are looking at the wrong area to rectify the current bass problem. Are you sure if the tubes are to blame? Confirm it by replacing both tubes with stock tubes and if the mid bass is still bloated, it's not the tubes. It could be your source, cans, interconnects etc.

hmm.. wat is your source?

do you have test frequencies?? i run test frequencies once in a long while to make sure my tubes are in working condition, able to reproduce the necessary frequencies etc..

tried other inter-connects?

I don't think it's a problem of the source. I'm using a Denon DCD-S10 --> Belden 1694A interconnects --> headphone amp --> Beyer DT880. I've done a test with the same equipment chain but a different headphone amp, and the bass was not as heavy. That's why I don't think it's the ancillaries.

Test frequencies? Pardon my ignorance, but what is this? Is it like a test equipment of some sort?

Don't get me wrong. The amp is great. I love the sound, very full-bodied, detailed yet non-fatiguing. I'm just itching to improve the sound even more, and to my personal taste, I would be happier if the bass has less emphasis, while the rest remains the same.

Cheers!

Precisely my point.....I reviewed both DT880 and HA-1A and even owned them. That's why I suspect it's something else. However, I also know what's boomy to some is bass weight to others, YMMV.

In your case, try exchanging the Mullard for something else. Try Ei Yugolslavia or JJ if you wish as they are not costly. In my review, I prefer Mullards with Ei Yugoslavia as JJs tend to be bright.

Alternatively, look at my review on diy interconnects. Belden 89259 seems to suit U. Btw Belden 1694a is a 75-ohm cable ideal for digital audio and video transfer but not really good sounding as analogue interconects

Edited by Mackie