Sign in to follow this  
Guest warlock

Hissing sound!

Guest warlock

Hi guys... !

I made a interconnect cable for my Sonic Impact T-Amp so that it can drive my headphone Senn HD590 (120 Ohm) . The expected impedance that the T-amp drives is 6 Ohm. Hence in order to make the effective impedance of the load around 6 Ohm, I connected a 8 Ohm resistor to each channel (left and right) in parallel to the headphone.

The result is, it can drive the headphone easily, I usually use only a quarter to half of the volume max. But the bad thing is there's loud hissing noise in the background.

I've tested the t-amp with a passive speaker and there's no such hissing noise.

I dont know if the hissing sound is due to the resistors or the quality of the cable or the workmanship (soldiering and stuff).

Any pointer would be much appreciated.

Also I can see that the 2 ground point of the outputs (left and right) of the T-Amp are not connected. Is it normal? I've connected them because the minijack female has common ground point, not separate.

Thank you.

hi warlock

well the hissing noise could be caused due to a variety of reasons, but there's one apparent problem in your setup.

the sonic impact t-amp uses a tripath ta2024 for its amplification

a quick peek at its datasheet, in page 5 the schematic shows that the chip has a differential output

it has two active outputs: the positive (red connector at your t-amp), and negative

tripath has an explanation of differential output here

so basically in the t-amp case you cannot connect the 'ground' terminal from left and right channel

Guest warlock

thank you very much...

Probably I will go for a normal headphone amp then. Mine is not the type with the Y cord so I have to rewire the whole headphone to use with the t-amp. Not worth it in my opinion.

There is only one headphone that I know uses speaker amp. Other headphone should definately try to use headphone amp.

A very good reason is speaker amp have higher noise level than headphone amp.

i think the problem lies in that 8ohm resistor in parallel. i tried using tube intergrated amp driving headphone before, but resistor should be in series. if in parallel, you calculate the current flow over your headphone.. 120/8 current divider rule..wah

of coz in this case is digital amp, and i have no experience in it.. just my 2cent.

i tried akgK1000 direct driven by power amp before, no problem at all.. sounds exellent.

Guest warlock
yup akg1000, else if i m not wrong one of the grado H-series can be driven by a speaker amp too..

sorry I havent heard of Grado H-series before. K1000 is way over my budget sleep.gif

Guest warlock

I dun know what happened ... but the hissing sound has miraculously diminished to a hardly audible level. I let friends try and they cant hear it at all.

Last nite I used it for a few hours continuously at loud level (so I cant hear the hissing sound). And this morning I realized that it's almost no longer there party.gifparty.gifyeah.gifyeah.gifyeah.gifyeah.gif

Edited by warlock

Guest warlock

After I DIY the cable, because of the hissing sound, i didnt touch it until last nite... do u guys think that the "burn-in" with the cable sort of like help in this case? headphone.gifheadphone.gif

wow that's rather miraculous, huh? lol

well looks like the internal components of the tripath for the two negative terminals sort of adjusted themselves

lol wow