Sign in to follow this  
ehlim

Portable CDP for good quality headphone

Can anyone recommend a good portable CDP to be used as a source for good quality headphone through a portable amp.

Thanks.

iriver imp serieS? i have one of their disc mans.. lasted longer than the two sonys i had, now its serving me as a part time desktop player as well, decent equalizer too

Try the new Panasonic discman eg SL-CT720/820 which comes with digital amplification. These new breed is better in terms of transparency, detail and clarity over its predecessors. I have an older SL-CT790 for comparison.

I perhaps may have to look for a used models that provide good analogue music through playing CDs and not MP3.

Any suggestions??

Thanks.

perhaps may have to look for a used models that provide good analogue music through playing CDs and not MP3.

I just made a suggestion. The Panasonic pcdps I'd mentioned plays CDs not MP3 files. When I mean digital amplification, I mean its trademark "D-Sound".

http://panasonic.co.jp/corp/news/official....en030930-4.html

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007Y7EQ...glance&n=172282

You can probably get hold of a Sony D777 if you don't mind the shorter shock-protection timing. The headphone out is very musical, and after hearing it maybe you will decide that your portable amp go into the rubbish bin and stick with the D777 headphone out. (depending on the portable amp you have, and its matching with the headphones you are using. If you happen to have a KSC-35, probably the portable amp goes into the incinerator). LOL. YMMV though.

If I'm not mistaken, Matbon0013 is selling off his D777, you can PM him.

Try looking in Cash Convertors for old discmans. You might be pleasantly surprised. Do check out headfi for some reviews particularly Duncan's giant review of portables. I think Duncan posted the same thing here too but headfi one is more updated.