Sign in to follow this  
lekguan

A tale of ear cushions

Long long ago in a land far far away, I had a pair of headphones -- the Beyerdynamic DT431.

And this is how the story began: After using for almost 2 years+, with some spare cash in hand, I thought, why not get a new pair of ear cushions? And so I did.

Unfortunately, I was totally unaware of what beyer had in store for me, indeed I was in for a huge surprise (disappointment). Upon inspection of the new pair of ear cushions, I found them thicker, and the finish was rather different. It reminds me of the ear cushions which came with Rameish's pair of DT431. I still remember vaguely its appearance. I thought mine was the original ear cushions then. How wrong could I have been.

To cut the story short, I replaced the cushions and guess what? The sound totally changed. Everything sounded so laidback, everything in the lower frequencies became so unapparent as compared to before. The biggest problem was that the highs became so piercing and irritating. Sure the imaging was better, but what use has it when I enjoy my music no longer? I gave it one night, I placed the headphones around my bookshelf speaker, hoping to loosen the pad up, but there was little difference. I tried pressing the headphones against my ears, and sure they sounded better, more forward, the lower registers more pronounced, but the air that used to be there still was missing. I gave up, and changed back to the old pair of cushions, and everything sounded so right immediately.

I don't know, probably not only do i own a pair of rare headphones, I own a pair of extremely rare cushions for the headphones as well. And the cushions are wonderful. I have no idea whether I can ever find such a pair of cushions anymore, but if i can't, I'm more than willing to wear this pair of cushions.

Right now I have placed the new pair of cushions under some weight. I'll give them a few days and see what comes out of them.

And so the story ends, some food for thought for everyone.

Edited by lekguan