viconte

Canalphone/IEM similar to PX200

Im looking for a canalphone/IEM that sounds similar to my senns PX200. I have no problems getting a good seal, thus it sounds good to me, I love the vocals and the bass it offers, and I listen to it unamped.

So does any canalphone/IEM offer something similar? I tried the UM2 and vocals can sound harsh(piercing), not like px200 which sounds smooth and easier on the ear. Wondering if shure e4 will fit my needs. Looking forward to your suggestions

Cheers smile.gif

Edited by viconte

What are you connecting to. Is it the iPod Video stated in your signature.

I have the Shure E4c and the bass and mids are not bad just what you require. And it does it's job right with the iPod Video unamped as I tested mine with my friend's iPod. laugh.gif

If you find the UM2 harsh (bright and piercing), I do not think you will find the E4C better. The Shures have greater detail and the sound signature leans more towards the Ety 4P/S side of the sonic spectrum. From my experience, the UM2 is the warmest sounding of the lot, followed by the E4C, Ety 4P then 4S. YMMV.

What I gathered is that the UM2 has better highs. I haven heard the UM2 though.

And from experience the E4c doesn't have piercing highs if compared to my Grados.

Thanks guys for the advice, hmm... I really enjoy the vocals on my px200 and the bass... was wondering where I could audition the E4/c? Any kind soul willing to let me audition it?

Oh ya... if any kind soul offers, I can offer to treat the person a starbucks/coffeebean drink? smile.gif

Edited by viconte

i have tried an E4 not long ago.. used it for about a week or so.. word of caution, stay away from the E4 if u are a bass head.. i sold mine within 2 weeks. if u feel that the UM2 is piercing, i am not sure what u can look to... the E5? rolleyes.gif

but then again, if bass is NOT what u are looking for, then the E4 might just well suit u.. good luck..

btw, i was using the E4 with my G5 30G Ipod unamped. as usual, YMMV.

EDIT: BTW, i have yet to try the PX200..

Edited by RB26DETT

hmm... I tried the UM2, bass is sufficient, just that the vocals are not smooth... can be piercing which irritates me! Whenever i put on my px200 (i can get a good seal with it) the vocals sound more smooth, some consider it dark(veiled) but its fine for me.

Since i like the bass on my UM2, the bass on the e4 is less than the UM2 rite? yes i wish to go unamped, so i just wanna hear how it sounds on my g5 ipod before deciding to buy the e4...

I used to have the shure e1c which i found harsh too. I've tried the etys er-4 and I found them very good, except a bit piercing too, and very much clinical. It's the kind which you should go for if you really want a "detailed feel". OTOH, I've tried the Shure e5c which i found to be the most natural sounding earphones I've ever tried. Despite being IEM it doesn't sound constrained, nor sharp/hard. It just isn't quite coloured, very natural all the way across the frequencies, and staging, sauf the slight nasal sound, which i guess is due to the rolled-off highs present amongst all IEMs.

hmm... I tried the UM2, bass is sufficient, just that the vocals are not smooth... can be piercing which irritates me! Whenever i put on my px200 (i can get a good seal with it) the vocals sound more smooth, some consider it dark(veiled) but its fine for me.

Since i like the bass on my UM2, the bass on the e4 is less than the UM2 rite? yes i wish to go unamped, so i just wanna hear how it sounds on my g5 ipod before deciding to buy the e4...

the bass of the E4 on the G5 is non existent IMO.. maybe the way i describe it is a little bad/harsh.. but i gotta admit, i'm a bass head.. as like what i've said, keep clear of the E4 if u are into bass..

maybe u should give the E5 i go?

Before I forget again, do try different tips with the UM2 as it really changes the sonic signature. I finally settled for the Ety Tri-Flange as it provided the best balance for me.

Check out this site for tips on maximising the UM2 - http://um2.blogspot.com/

Experiment with different tips and you would be surprised at the effect it has on the sound.

UM2 also has more bass than E4, if bass is also what you are looking for.

Hi tbln,

I tried all various tips possible with the UM2, including the westone and shure foamies, the long and short comply, the ety tri-flange, the modded ety bi-flange, the shure clear flex sleeves! The medium shure clear flex had the best seal/sound for me

I dont know if you can imagine the disappointment when in the end I felt my px200(i get a gd seal) sounded more warm and involving for me!