Sign in to follow this  
viix

DIY Crossfeeds

Firstly, I've some background in electronics, done soldering and stuff.. but totally forgot my fundamentals.

I've seen the schematics and gonna do a p2p soldering for this crossfeed. But I'm not to sure how I should wire the switches s1a s1b from the schematics Here to one DPDT switches. Anyone here can help? Best if there is a pic of how it should be wired as I don't know the wiring pins of these switches

Also, where will I be able to source for these easily from 1 shop?

1. 1/2W & 1/4W Resistors

2. 35V Film Caps

3. Mini DPDT Switches

I've only did some basic electronics from kits so I wanna know what I should look out for to indicate the following:

1. wattage of resistors - any audio grade variety?

2. Film cap ratings and voltages - how to identify film or ceramics

3. Type of DPDT switches - will any switch do or where can I find audio grade?

Is there a specific thing to look out for audio grade parts?

hi

IPB Image

IPB Image

referring to the two images above, one is the symbol and another is an example of a sliding dpdt switch

as you can see from the symbol, there will be a common terminal and two other terminals that you can switch the signals from. on the physical switch, usually there will be two rows of three terminals just like in the picture, each row is for different parts of the circuit. the common terminal is usually the center one, but to make sure of this you can check it by using a multimeter's continuity tester. this will also confirms which two terminals are connected to each other at a particular switch position.

IPB Image

let's take switches S1a and S1b for example, the first row of terminals on the switch is for the left (green component) circuit, the otgher one is for the right circuit. connect the common terminal to R2, the other two terminals to R1a and R1b

well, koba at people's park centre level 3, they stock almost everything electronics. the other options will be sim lim tower level 2, 3 and basement level.

this is as far as i know:

1) the wattage rating is not related to audio grade. usually what they claim as audio grade resistors have smaller tolerance and temperature drift (more stable against temperature changes). for most audio project 1/4 W is usually enough. make sure you choose metal film resistors with 1% tolerance and not the carbon type.

2) ceramic caps are usually brown in color and disc shaped. polyethylene/polypropylene caps are usually rectangular shaped.

3) not sure about this, i usually choose the switch based on its size to fit the casing. of course the bigger ones can be expected to be able to handle larger currents

er urm.. not to dissuade you from your first adventure in DIY. well DIY is a good thing, but unless you're experienced enough, i'd advice you to build something else rather than a Crossfeeder.

unless you're thinking of using polypropylenes for C1 and C2, better drop the Modified Linkwitz altogether. even a polyester in there sounds rather sucky compared to the Crossfeeder that comes pre-built with foobar2000.

there's another crossfeeder that's simpler than the Modified Linkwitz. one that don't have a capacitor in the signal path/circuit. try to find that instead. i'm not cap-fetish, but i've built a few Modified Linkwitz before only to find that the internal foobar plugin to be better. yeah sure, maybe it's just me. but there's another simpler crossfeeder available.

analog crossfeed without caps in the signal path?

wow that sounds interesting, can i know what's the circuit called? or even better if you know the url to the project

analog crossfeed without caps in the signal path?

wow that sounds interesting, can i know what's the circuit called? or even better if you know the url to the project

ouch.. think i've made a mistake there. i believe what i've seen is a post of a schematic on another forum of a crossfeeder that has no caps in it. but from what i've searched (for about 30 mins), each and every one of them does have a cap. either i've made a mistake or i can't seem to find it.

i believe what i've seen is the Simpson Simulator, but those also have a cap (yet low value) in it. maybe my brain ain't working correctly.

I was looking at the Modified Linkwitz for it's bypass and two xfeed settings. The simpler xfeed by pinkfloyd was considered but it didn't have an high impedence version