Sign in to follow this  
Braxton

Recommendation for a mp3 player.

Hi,

Is there a nice mp3 player worth the recommendation?

In terms of:

1. Storage; would prefer a 30gb or 60gb,the larger the better. (Able to play video with most of the formats,preferably.)

2. Sound quality.

3. Battery life.

4. Size. (of course,would prefer a slimmer looking one if there is any.)

And from what i have read some of the threads here,most of you like prefering

using iPod Shuffle to bring out the sound quality,is it?

But too bad the storage of Shuffle is very limited. <_<

Gladly appreciate if you have any comment/suggestion.

other than the ZVM which supports quite a few more video formats but is only 30gb and sounds decent, if you want more storage formats, you might want to consider a PVP which goes up to 100gb with the archos(abt $1k+)...

But Archos PMP are really expensive lor , but with the ability to play Divx and larger storage ... it shoud be worth the money bah . But to me , i wouldn't want to take video on the go . Screen sizes and battery life are a major concern in these PMP , Why watch movies on a small screen when you can watch it in the comforts of your home with a full size TV , and since Singapore is like a 1 hour train ride from the east to west , it would be a waste lah ...

This is my 2 cent ... :yes:

i'll agree on that too

i have a ZVM, but i use it mainly for Audio and portable storage

20gb for entertainment, 8gb for storage

for video wise, short mtvs will be nice

or single anime episodes, usually less than 30mins is also good on the go

my 2 cents too... :)

'you might want to consider a PVP which goes up to 100gb with the archos(abt $1k+)...'

Mmm,it is rather big,like a PSP,and i have read some reviews from amazon.com,they said that the colour resolution is not that good though it is in 262k display,and the rating is not satisfactory.

Actually i've got a set of Creative Zen: M; it is a very good player but when it comes to sound quality,it holds me back to give it a 9 out of 10,just somehow feels that even pairing up with Westone UM2,still doesn't sound that great (not because of UM2,of course.but because of the player,i supposed.),even my friend commented that the sound quality is not up to his standard,BUT after he had viewed some action pack videos (with UM2 on),he commented that the sound quality sounds very good when viewing video clips (maybe because of the kind of vids he watched,plus the high end IEM UM2).

So that is why i am looking for a player which is good in sound quality,though size (storage) matters alot.

Just ask around only.Comments are welcome.

And of course,i myself am not an audiophile. :P

hmm u want quality and able to watch video,may i suggest cowon a2.

it has cut n paste function,able to play avi video and it has good batt life.

if size matters then ill suggest go ZVM,tough i dont really like the size of it thickness and must use prog to copy stuff( correct me if im wrong)

'anyways...for the sound quality and video quality, the ZVM is already one of the better ones around already...you might wanna try amping it?'

Yeah,been to Jaben yesterday to make a pair of eamold and as usual,Wilson is very friendly and nice. :beer:

Have asked him what is the purpose of AMP (sorry for my ignorance),immediately he let me test his AMP on my source with my UM2,and after awhile of listening,i found that AMP is able to sound out better details.

Out of goodwill,Wilson lent me his portable AMP to bring it home and try it (of course,have to return it back haha)

I think i shall stick to ZVM. :bash:

But the problem is,how do i go on by amping it? (never asked Wilson as i was rushing for work)

:blink:

thats my thoughts too

buy an amp to "amp" the ZVM headphones out

using the dongle Line Out will cause a "black" screen

and no navigations is allowed.

this is very sad as line out is always prefered...

oh? gt such option ar?

hahaha~ i didn't know that...

ok ok will try

thanks bro!!

Yeah, you can disable the video out function when using the AV-out jack (also known as line-out).

However, when you use the AV out via the dongle, the Creative merely disables the volume on the player and blasts the audio signal out to the line-out at FULL VOLUME. Hmmm....shouldn't the signal come out flat and unamped instead?

I found out that the input signal kinda overwhelmed the Xenos and the Crossroads, the 2 portable amps I was using. You can only turn the volume knob on the amp just a LITTLE BIT before the volume became unbearable.

Sorta defeats the purpose of using the amp then? :P

oh.. this is bad then

so which means to say there isn;t a point in amping the ZVM in this case

the oni "logical" way is to amp the headphone out then?

oh.. this is bad then

so which means to say there isn;t a point in amping the ZVM in this case

the oni "logical" way is to amp the headphone out then?

I guess the headphone jack is the only way to amp....for the ZVM, at least. The AV "line-out" is meant for powered speakers, that's what it says on the instructions manual. It MAY work on other amps, but it certainly overwhelmed the 2 I had :bash:

In fact, in the Xenos manual, it asked you to adjust the DAP volume to 1/2 loudness, and then use the volume knob on the amp to adjust the volume to your liking.

However, if you read my earlier thread on my impressions on the Xenos, it worked very well indeed from the headphone jack.

Edited by scanfiend