Sign in to follow this  
ekoliew

Need recommendation for headphones! (HD595, AD900s, and DT880s)

Hi Tristram,

I found the non-battery model less harsh/rough sounding than the battery model, especially with more repeated listenings with the DT880s when I was auditioning the cans. And to me, as I dislike too much simbilance in my music, it reinforced my decision to get the non-batt iCute amp.

So far, this iCute and DT880s combo sounds great, together with the Cambrigde Audio 640c player I have. And because the amp is stationary at one corner in my room, the portability issue doesn't bother me too much (plus, it's multi voltage so you can bring it with you when you travel). You can also try the meier amps as a comparison.. but note the price difference. Good luck with your choice of amp!

Hi Ekoliew,

Any reason for your choice of the non-battery iCute instead of the battery one? I am interested in the amp too, but wondering if it is "power" enough for the Beyer 250ohms cans. I briefly ampled the battery one but not impressed with it, will go Jaben again to test somemore. Great choices you got. I tried the DT880s and yes they are very very good, DT990 are just as good and I feel they sound different. Of course the price is different but it really depends on the choice of the preference based on the kind of music/songs or hardware used together, synergy. Cheers.

Hi Tristram,

I found the non-battery model less harsh/rough sounding than the battery model, especially with more repeated listenings with the DT880s when I was auditioning the cans. And to me, as I dislike too much simbilance in my music, it reinforced my decision to get the non-batt iCute amp.

So far, this iCute and DT880s combo sounds great, together with the Cambrigde Audio 640c player I have. And because the amp is stationary at one corner in my room, the portability issue doesn't bother me too much (plus, it's multi voltage so you can bring it with you when you travel). You can also try the meier amps as a comparison.. but note the price difference. Good luck with your choice of amp!

Hi ekoliew,

Thank you for your advice. I've actually bought the iCute Beyond (non-battery) on Tuesday already, after getting some advice and made the decision after some more listening with my own PCDP and music @ Jaben.

As it was for my home, dun really need it battery-powered... and I prefer my music to be "Powered". The only concern after got the amp was some static felt when touching the sides and the volume pot initially. Wonder any good advice to enhance grounding or safety suggestions. Even though believe it's safe but still kia-si, dun want to be one of the first to be known fried by amp while listening.

I am using it with my week-plus old DT990. Like I mentioned earlier, DT880 is very, very good as it was the first pair of cans to Wow me. But I preferred a bit more bass for my music and DT990 was it. I felt DT880 brought the singer's voice closer and the decision wasn't easy for me then. Anyway both are good choices and there are so many other good choices for this audio fetish... like I briefly listened to the Little Country and felt it is another notch heavenly for me. For now, I am happy and contented with DT990 & iCute Beyond.

Great that besides the better music I'm enjoying, got to know some audio knowledge, get to know some of you nice guys, and got to enjoy the friendly and patient services of Mr Wilson. S.E. far for me in East...

Cheers.

Edited by Tristram