Sign in to follow this  
huangyong

USB DAC price range

USB DAC price  

61 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hello folks, seems like there are many USB DAC these while. Just curious what is your comfortable price range of having such add on to your PC/MAC for best possible audio experience. And hopefully we can feedback to the manufacturer that we want something cheaper!!

thanks.

Opps! i think i'm that cheapo here! :P Preferbly something cheap yet acceptable.

Personally i prefer to set aside more budget for home set-ups or portable, thus DAC became my last priority.

Don't worry, I'm just as cheap as well! :D

I think one of the big reasons why most people want an external (USB) DAC is because of the hiss/noise from the onboard or internal sound cards, especially with headphones. With similar offerings from creative and the like at the $100 or lower range, most people would get one of those just to escape from the hiss. They also tend to have more "features" (EAX, 24bit/96kHz, etc). It would seem like these cards are more bang for buck, especially if you want to do gaming or watch movies, whether they have good SQ or not is another question.

If a manufacturer can come up with a below $100 DAC - doesn't matter if it's only 16-bit & doesn't have all the features the above DACs have - but with exceptional SQ, and the ability to accept optical in (for use in a home setup), I'm sure a lot of people here would be interested.

Do you have more info on the above?

tks

seems like it is able to drive up to 300ohm cans. Wonder how is the SQ.

usb DAC or external creative audigy nx2 .. which would be better for a notebooksetup ?

I think it is an external sound card. but the price is damn cheap. cost only RMB275!!!

Not bad pricing - about SGD$50+? Looks like it could be a first DAC for many people...would be very interested in an MO :))

usb DAC or external creative audigy nx2 .. which would be better for a notebooksetup ?

If by "usb DAC", do you mean something like the one in the pic above?

The DAC above is truly no-frills. Only has analog and optical out (so can use ur com with an AV reciever - so those AC3 soundtracks on ur DVD-rips don't go to waste :X). Good for listenng with just headphones.

On the other hand, we have creative's offerings - it's chock full of stuff - analog output for 7.1 sound, inputs of all sorts - a full-fledged sound card. Has EAX for game, etc.

So, to cut the long story short :-

usb DAC = listening with headphones or 2-speaker setups; can also hook up to AV reciever for surround sound. Good just for music listening. Cheaper.

Audigy NX2 = headphones to 7.1 sound; has EAX for games - good for gamers. But ex. Also, when using a notebook, I don't think will have the space to setup 7.1 sound lol.

Edited by bakavic

wow.... 40% prefer it to be below 100. come on.. more feedback pls.. if the response is good.. hehe....

I am now eyeing on this porta corda III USB, anyone has any experience with them to drive the RS-1 and MS-Pro?

IPB Image