Sign in to follow this  
sonq

Fubar+880+HA-1A Glitch

Just bought a Fubar USB DAC to complete my 880 (2006) + HA-1A setup.

Played both lossless and CD thru my T42, but keep getting clipping sound at peaks. Even at moderate volume. I've already burned in Fubar for at least 20 hrs - the rest are used, so already burnt-in.

Has anyone encountered similar problem?

By the way, I get clipping sound thru T42 in the past when listening with the AT clip phone direct, but thought this is irrelevant as I'm running from USB.

This is my link-up:

PC >USB2 cable->FuBar->RCA to mini female adaptor->nEar04 Speakers.

PC->USB2 cable->FuBar->RCA to mini adaptor->Xenos REP Amp / Crossroads HP1->AKG 601 / Senn 590

I am happy to say I have no problems with clipping and distortion, even at high volumes. I wasn't using particularly fancy cables either, just Daiyo ones :P

Distortions would imply a deficiency in power, or perhaps some electrical inteference from the PC motherboard.

I would focus my attention on the USB connection. Are you using a USB 1.1 or USB 2.0 port on your PC? I have read that USB soundcards have issues on the slower USB 1.1 connection. Also, switch USB ports and see if the problem persists. The best is to try it on another PC, if possible.

Additionally, try to use the USB ports behind the PC, not the front mounted ones. The USB ports behind the PC are the ones that are hardwired into the motherboard, so the power supply should be more constant.

Best of luck.

Hi Topgun,

Time to kill and visited Jaben to audition. Sounded thin and sterile in the shop but I know not burnt in so took a chance.

Anyway, this guy Wilson is so helpful & went thru so much trouble to hookup...I don't have the heart to walk out without buying...furthermore less than $200 (somehow I mistakenly thought $400+ and red colour)

Very smooth now, not much leading edge but good enough for me at this price - using the included RCA. Thanks for the recommendation. I did hide under desk ; )

Hi Scanfiend,

Thanks for your suggestions.

Tried on an old Dell Precision workstation with USB 1.1 and clipping gone!

Ironically, the T42 has a USB 2 and 1G ram....I'll rewire it to rear of PC tomorrow. Enjoying the free naim CD (from HifiChoice) now.

Just a note, the sound is more crisp but thinner than thru the Dell - thought the signal is digital, should be the same.

Edited by laukinkon

Fonglav, I got both 880 & HA-1A from the same seller. I'm using Window's Media player.

I was aiming for a his 880 and the Benchmark DAC1 on ebay, but unsuccessful so called up this seller to buy both and look for another DAC.

cant wait to giv it a try it in the afternoon.....gosh thats abt 15 hrs to go!!! :))

i'll put it in front of my PC though. :bruce: lol

Tried on an old Dell Precision workstation with USB 1.1 and clipping gone!

Ironically, the T42 has a USB 2 and 1G ram....I'll rewire it to rear of PC tomorrow. Enjoying the free naim CD (from HifiChoice) now.

Just a note, the sound is more crisp but thinner than thru the Dell - thought the signal is digital, should be the same.

Glad that you managed to isolate the problem. Technically, the digital signal should sound the same. However, the devil is in the details, as they say :P

Here's some technical reading on USB based DAC on 6moons. I must confess that the details made my eyes glaze over, but it may be useful to you. http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/wavelength2/brick.html

Hi guys, thanks for the tips & links - will certainly explore them.

BTW, sorry about the HA-1A. I'm sure there'll be more units coming on stream - audiophiles are always itchy for upgrades.

Just a note; relocated the system and found the sound a touch bright & dirty - tranced the problem to accidentally reversing the RCA direction from 1st setup. Reversed back & fixed problem. Hooking up to the USB behind PC actually yielded cleaner signal too.

Edited by laukinkon

Thanks for your tips on setup. I'll look into a few tweaks when I can find the time.

May look at changing the interconnect, op amp on Fubar, Foobar2000, tube rolling and line conditioning. However, this is not a high resolution system, so the threshold is likely to be breached easily and will stop before diminishing return rears it's head.

I've actually been an audiophile for around 20 yrs (but on & off with each burnout). I've some basics that served me well but still rather green on pc audio, cans, mods & tube rolling. Before this, only owned 1 tube hardware - a Quicksilver.

Edited by laukinkon

I've just looped the suppied power cord frpm Fubar 3 times around a piece of ferrite core for fun, surprised to hear a fair amt of grain removed.

Heard some impact on the usb cord when looped twiced, but I only have 1 ferrite core, so can't try both cords at the same time. I've also sited the amp & fubar a meter from pc as suggested by fonglav.

Just inserted 3 steel cones found somewhere in the drawers under the amp, but effect is pro/con - more spacious and in focus but treble is a touch steely, especially on female vocals.

Almost want to remove the cones but tried some of those old rubber ball tweaks (non-bouncing type) under the DAC, which was sitting atop the amp. Toned down everything - less hard & less grain. In the end still removed the cones - seems clear but too vivid for comfort.

Maybe the amp's transformer was transmitting fair amount of vibration to the DAC?

Next to tweak will be the I/C. I suspect the connector is quite screwed. Remembered that my earlier reversal changed the sound drastically - that's an impossible directional effect as I've only burnt it for a day!

________

I've been listening to this for the last 3 hrs now and I'm on the new Naim sample CD track 11 - damn, the sound is incredibly natural - didn't expect this level of sound quality when I bought it....

Edited by laukinkon

Just tried out Foobar2k. Initaily sounded bright but switching over to Win MP, I realized MP is flat & slightly muffled by comparison.

Didn't tied ASIO format though, just WM files.

Did unmasked a touch of grain in the treble - may try to get a Mullard 4003 to tame it a little or new I/C.

Edited by laukinkon

OK, will try out FLAC, does that mean I have to re-rip my CD? I currently ripped to WM files at max resolution. Using Foobar did unmasked many things that were hidden by Win's MP.

I was listening to track 11 of the latest free Naim CD with amp all warmed up before I went to bed...music really flowed. However, badly recorded tracks sounded terrible thru Foobar - even ripped WM tracks that were previously quite OK on WMP isn't that great now.....

Welcome to the wonderful world of PC audio :))

As an analogy, the different software decoders you use to play back your ripped music stored on your HDD would be the CD players in Hi-Fi systems. I tried Winamp, Creative Mediasource, WMP, and Foobar2K and they all exhibit subtle differences in audio playback.