Sign in to follow this  
zilk

Home amp. for Headphones?

Hi all! I've been wondering if home amps (integrated or power-pre amp combi) could be used together with headphones. Also, when i connect my MS1 to my dad's audiolab integrated amp, there would be no sound from the speakers but when I connect it to the set-up i have in my room (a rotel power-pre amp combi), sound would still come out from the speakers.. why so?!

some int amps have the option that when a headphone is connected in the headphone out, there will be no signal from the speaker out. i m not sure if this is the case. or i just simply connect the headphone with converters to the speaker out which may potentially damage ur cans in this way.

Audiolab integrated amp (presumably 8000A?) disengages speakers output when the headphone socket is in use. This is very common. There's no hard and fast rule as it depends on how the amp was designed but more often than not, amps made in the 80s and 90s tend to operate in this manner.

If your integrated amp or pre-amp does not have headphone socket, it's wiser to purchase a head amp and connect it to the pre-amp/integrated amp's [TAPE-OUT]. This will allow you to use your cans with the option to engage or disengage the speakers (volume control has no effect on TAPE-OUT signal). In addition, all the sources connected to the amp can be selected to be heard through your cans. The only detriment (if any) is the pre-amp/integrated amp must be powered so that signal from source can be transferred to the TAPE-OUT output.

Edited by Mackie