Sign in to follow this  
afbug

Snooker Cue: Which design is nice?

Hi guys, I'm in the market for a snooker cue and have an idea of what I want but however, I still cannot make up my mind. So here got more traffic, I hope can have more opinions.

Which design is nice? Cost is not a factor, they cost about the same anyway!

IPB Image

PB 1 Hand made cue. Top quality selected straight grain ash shaft in imported ebony butt.

Their designed a plain black Ebony butt cue.

IPB Image

PB 2 Hand Made Cue. Top quality selected straight grain ash shaft in imported ebony butt. Their designed as

one single front face "Cocobolo wood" over blue thick veneer + short cocobolo on blue veneer lower splice.

IPB Image

PB 3 Hand Made Cue. Top quality selected straight grain ash shaft in imported ebony butt. Their designed as

one single front face "Maka Burr wood" over thick yellow / thin black veneer.

IPB Image

PB 4 Hand Made Cue. Top quality selected straight grain ash shaft in imported ebony butt. Their designed as

one single front face "Ebony wood" over thick white veneer + short ebony on white veneer lower splice.

IPB Image

PB 5 Hand Made Cue. Top quality selected straight grain ash shaft in imported ebony butt. Their designed as

one single front face "Jade wood" over blue veneer + short ebony blue veneer front splices.

IPB Image

M1 Hand Made Cue. Top quality selected straight grain ash shaft in imported ebony butt. Their designed as

one single front face "Star wood" (the rare & most expensive exotic wood) over the double blue & green veneer.

IPB Image

M2 Hand Made Cue. Top quality selected straight grain ash shaft in imported ebony butt. Their designed as

one single front face "Asia snake wood" (the rare & most expensive exotic wood) over the green veneer.

IPB Image

M3 Hand Made Cue. Top quality selected straight grain ash shaft in imported ebony butt. Their designed as

one single front face "Cocobolo wood" over the green veneer + short lower ebony splices on green veneer.

IPB Image

M4 Hand Made Cue. Top quality selected straight grain ash shaft in imported ebony butt. Their designed as

one single front face "Jade wood" over the white veneer + short lower ebony splices on green veneer.

IPB Image

M5 Hand Made Cue. Top quality selected straight grain ash shaft in imported ebony butt. Their designed as

one single front face "Purple Heart wood" over the white veneer + short lower Purple Heart splices on green veneer.

IPB Image

M6 (Mathew Stevens replica) Hand Made Cue. Top quality selected straight grain ash

shaft in imported ebony butt. Their designed as 4 lower splices "Pradoo wood" (Tulip Like)

IPB Image

M7 Hand Made Cue. Top quality selected straight grain ash shaft in imported ebony butt. Their

designed as 4 lower splices "King wood" on white veneers + short lower ebony splices on white veneer.

IPB Image

EX1 Hand Made Cue. Top quality selected straight grain ash shaft in imported ebony butt.

Their designed as 4 secondary lower splices in "Cocobolo wood" over green veneers.

IPB Image

EX2 Hand Made Cue. Top quality selected straight grain ash shaft in imported ebony butt.

Their designed as 4 secondary lower splices in "King wood" over blue veneers.

IPB Image

EX3 Hand Made Cue. Top quality selected straight grain ash shaft in imported ebony butt.

Their designed as 4 secondary lower splices in "Jade wood" over green veneers + short ebony front splices.

I think these are nice and personally, I think I'll go for the PB1 but its design is common. So what you say? :)

Edited by afbug

lol Many of the designs are too much for me too, especially some of those M and Ex series cues.

There is a whitish one here, but I can't afford it. :no: I see the price, saw :rclxub:

http://handmadecues.com/web/cg17.htm

I will go for PB3 for the 'flames' on the butt. (Flames on BUTT? :DD ) Haha.. I can't remember the exact name of the wood. They have very nice orange flame designs by nature. The extremely beautiful flames will cost you even more, according to Custom cue makers.

PB1 is low profile and serious-look playing cue. However, it will look like a one-piece with the butt extension joint. PB3 looks unique and high-class playing cue. Maybe you should refer to a pool cue custom sites for more reference on the wood? :))

I have not seen the green wood widely used in cues. Interesting but it looked kinda of 'Alien' to me? It doesn't really goes well. Haha.. you seriously got the pocket for this. :))

[Top-Gun], thats why I like the PB1. Simple and pro looking but its a little 'too easy' for cheap knock-offs to copy the 'design'. Its actually a standard/universal design that all snooker cue manufacturers provides.

zonalblitz_audio, flames on butt? I never see before. But I've seen and hold the PB3 upclose and personal before and indeed, it is quite a looker. Those green colour are splices only, coloured wood I guess. PB3's description: Maka Burr wood over thick yellow / thin black veneer. I have a rough idea of which wood I like. I'll add the cue's description in my 1st post shortly.

PB1 is a 3/4 cue. All cues here have a butt/base joint for extensions.

I only like the PB series cue, PB1, PB3, PB4 and PB5. The rest, only M4, M7 and EX2 I like.

Anymore opinions? No need to have knowledge of such stuff, I just want to know whats your opinion and what is nice to you. :D

Guest joi-ful

i think the M7 will look quite decent.

It's your picture which makes it look unflattering. lol!

Are you ordering the cue sticks online or is there a shop selling such stuff?

Pool noobie here...

if its based on looks , im going for either m6 or m7. imho :DD

leaning more towards m6. haha.

these are snooker cues i believe.

i think the M7 will look quite decent.

It's your picture which makes it look unflattering. lol!

Are you ordering the cue sticks online or is there a shop selling such stuff?

Pool noobie here...

Good choice. M7 seem like the more popular design. Yeah these pictures don't do justice to the cues but these pictures are the best there is. The cues look much better in person. These cue manufacturers should get some proper photography done! :bash:

These cues can be ordered online to your own custom specifications or buy off the shelf from shops in SG. I'll be buying from the shops, no need to wait, cheaper and I'm quite happy with the designs. BTW, these are snooker cues, not pool cues. :beer:

I've also narrowed down my selection. These are the ones I'm likely to buy:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

PB5 and EX2 are very similar and uses the same 'King wood' splices but EX2 will cost me $50 more. :blush: PB1 was my first choice but now leaning towards EX2 or M7.

gin. Here is a nice pic of the M6, but its not really what I want. :blush:

IPB Image

maybe its just me. haha :DD

i would say M7 , just my 2cents :P

maybe the blue in the EX2 wasnt suppose to be that way in these pics.

Guest joi-ful

Haha. Not very sure what exactly is snooker. Is it different rules and stuff, usually played with larger tables right?

Uber noob here, only play pool at the smallest table (dunno the exact size also...) at my friend's condo. Always tio lucky shots cos the table is small!

Snooker are the large tables with coloured balls. Pool are the ones usually standard blue or any other colours. Tables for pool are available in 7, 8 and 9 feet. The commonly played pool are the 8-ball and 9-ball. :))

Haha. Not very sure what exactly is snooker. Is it different rules and stuff, usually played with larger tables right?

Uber noob here, only play pool at the smallest table (dunno the exact size also...) at my friend's condo. Always tio lucky shots cos the table is small!

Haha its like that when you're starting out. I took more than an hour to finish a game of snooker when I was learning the game.

The big green table with coloured balls in 'solid colours' is snooker. Tables are 12 feet X 6 feet.

http://auctions.yahoo.com/sg/i:2nd%20Hand%...0Table:93419500

Those smaller tables with bigger pockets and played with both 'solid and strip coloured' balls are pool tables. Size ranges from 9 feet, 8 and 7 feet.

http://auctions.yahoo.com/sg/i:9ft%20Pool%...0Sale:110711679

http://auctions.yahoo.com/sg/i:7%20feet%20...TABLE:111243306

(Table's breadth is 1/2 of its length)

I've narrowed down to thses 3. Will post some pics after I got it. :drool:

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by afbug

I finally got my cue today. :D Was cueless for 2 weeks, very uneasy and lost a lot of games. The cue I got was a more difficult one to manage/play. Smaller tip and lighter but it will force me to improve my stroke and cueing plus generating more spin and cue control. Played with it just now and it was a great experience. No regrets changing cue to this one.

Tip: 9.4mm

Weight: 17.5Oz

Length: 57inches

Here are some pics that I hastly taken. Not so nice I'm afraid but surely nicer then those manufacturer's pics.

The Mastercue Pro Butt 3 and tip

IPB Image

Nice yellow and black veneers with Maka Burr wood splice and hand spliced shaft

IPB Image

The joints, nice and shiny now but will fade soon.....must maintain if I want it to be shiny

IPB Image

Bigger view of the cue

IPB Image

Female joint at butt end for extensions

IPB Image

Nice black ebony and joint. So sorry, my carpet dirty

IPB Image

Nicer pic of the splices and veneers

IPB Image

Extension attached, front view

IPB Image

Extension attached, back view

IPB Image

Another view

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by afbug

Nice cue there! :)) Enjoi~!

It's harder to play with the new cue? Lol! For pool cues, they are usually easier to use than market ones. :D

Thanks. :)) In terms of the 'hit and feel' of the cue ball and ball control, this cue is very much better. It is more difficult to use because of the specs like tip size and weight that I've chosen. Smaller tip will be more 'unstable' forcing you to concentrate on your cueing and feathering but it generates much more spin. Lighter cue will be also more difficult to feather and your stroke must be really good but it gives more control in the shorter range shots. Heavier cue will be easier for long distance and will be easier to hit hard shots.

I believe Predator's cues features smaller tip as well, 12.5mm as oposed to the usual pool standard of 13-15mm. Snooker ranges from 9mm to 10mm. I used to use 9.7mm which I always find too big for me, so I got this in 9.4mm, which I prefer but since I've gotten so used to the old 9.7mm, it was a little struggle at first but I feel good after that. I now only need to change my tip to a softer one.

Edited by afbug