Sign in to follow this  
aleksandr

Forums are hard on your wallet

Hi everyone,

(First, apologies for the long post)

Am new to sgheadphones, found out about this site while looking at earphone reviews in HWZ. Have been lurking for a couple of days and this is my first post. To cut a long story short, am now very very tempted to get IEMs for myself after reading through the forums here. But what to get? Ah, that's the difficult question...

Right now, I have a 5.5G iPod with Audio-Technica CK-7 (Bought after reading all the good reviews on it) Mostly I listen to music ripped from cds at uberstandard - using EAC, 192 kbps variable. Tastes in music are classical, choral, broadway, a little bit of vocal pop and jazz. One very important thing - I dislike heavy bass, it drives me absolutely crazy.

To be brutally honest, I'm pretty happy with my CK-7. My only complaint is that it's isolation could be better. I'm very easily distracted by the people around me and it'd be great to hear absolutely nothing but my music when I'm studying. But (and I'm sure all you good people here can identify with this) what if there's something better out there and I just don't know it cause I haven't heard it before?

So, that's my situation. Major case of upgrade-itis. Am looking at getting IEMs, budget is more or less open (so I get what I want now and not have to upgrade again in 6 months time :)) But within reason of course. Shure e500 is nice, but...

I think my most important 'criteria' would be clarity. If the source allows for it, to be able to identify different audio 'tracks' in a recording, for example instruments in an orchestra. I know this usually isn't possible, but I use it as an illustration. As I mentioned earlier, heavy bass is a no-no, but mid-range/treble is very important. Hope I'm making sense so far.

Another thing I'd like (which might sound oxymoronic while talking about IEMs) is comfort. I usually listen for hours at a stretch, and sometimes it takes a bit of jostling to find that perfect fit for my CK-7s so it doesn't chafe my ear. In my opinion my ear canal is a bit on the small side. I know the best solution would be to try on each pair to see for myself, and I've been meaning to go down to Stereo Electronics except that Woodlands is pretty far away and I'm not exactly very free now - in the middle of exams.

Right now based on what I've read on the internet my two 'options' are UE s.fi 5 Pro and UM1 (possibly UM2 if the extra cost really justifies it) Although I'm very very open to suggestions.

Oh, and one last question which I didn't manage to fit in anywhere. Does having dual-drivers make a world of difference to the sound of a pair of earphones?

Thanks in advance for responses!

Edited by aleksandr

I have yet to try the Super.fi 5 pro, but after reading alot from Head-Fi, I dun THINK it may be what you are looking for.

If you are looking for clarity, non-dark IEMs, I would honestly recommend you the Shure E4. That thing is clear like hell.. But then again YMMV..

As for fits, think the sleeves provided in the packaging would be quite sufficient for ALMOST all ear canal size. If not, the foams should be able to work for you.

Do find some time to try out the E4.

BTW, there is a thread on MO from earphonesolutions.

Hi everyone,

One very important thing - I dislike heavy bass, it drives me absolutely crazy.

As I mentioned earlier, heavy bass is a no-no,

Right now based on what I've read on the internet my two 'options' are UE s.fi 5 Pro and UM1 (possibly UM2 if the extra cost really justifies it) Although I'm very very open to suggestions.

UM2 is famous for it's heavy bass,i guess it is not quite suited for you.but you may try UE s.fi 5pro as alot of people have commented that it is better than UM2.

Oh, and one last question which I didn't manage to fit in anywhere. Does having dual-drivers make a world of difference to the sound of a pair of earphones?

yeah,having dual-drivers is like having 2 speakers in each monitor.there's difference between a single driver & a dual driver.

if you are going to audit it at Stereo Electronics,do audit and compare between UM1 (single driver) & a UM2 (dual driver).you'll be surprised. :party:

The ER6i and ER4 looks pretty good for someone in your situation. Great for clarity.

I personally find IEMs really comfortable. Maybe it's because of my "IEM-style" ear canals. Or simply because it's too warm to put on headphones for long in Singapore.