Sign in to follow this  
nysheng

headphone amps for K518DJ

hey all.. any opinions/recommendations for portable amps for the k518DJ? or entry level ones? seems the latest rage is headphone amps.. :think:

some more details might be useful, like

what source are you using?

what's your budget?

you mentioned either entry-level amps (i assume home amps?) or portable amps - what size do you want your amp to be?

what sort of music do you listen to? what sound do you like?

hmmz..well.. i was thinking along the lines of sth small and hopefully portable, to plug up to either my zen micro(maybe a future ipod nano :P ), maybe my laptop. i listen to quite a wide range of music, from choral to rock to classical. haha. does this help my cause? :grin:

budget wise...well. i'm not sure wat's the entry-level cost.. can anyone enlighten mi? from wat i read..it's around $100 to $200?

Yes 100-200 is enough for entry level portable...I actually tried the K81dj recently it's a pretty good pair of headphones, only that the bass can be a bit too strong for me not sure what you think.

this excellent roundup covers alot of the portable amps around at all price ranges http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.p...hlight=portable

i'd go for the headphonia if I were you..but it's actually a clone amp of a more expensive one and i think they are currently going to get sued...so buying from them is like buying a pirated CD, except of course audiophile companies aren't as big as say microsoft or even ubisoft, so if you base the illegality of your action in terms of the 'harm principle', then clearly the wrong you commit by buying from headphonia is bigger. (sorry using sgheadphones to escape studying but obviously not very useful)

I've read some good things about the Go-vibe V6 http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=234018. might be interesting as well though the V5 wasn't very highly rated in that roundup.

Myself I own a supermini IV from www.fixup.net. Was really spectacular at first but then I sent it back for an 'upgrade' and it has since lost its magic....anyway it's not really within you budget and I wouldn't recomment it. Really small though.

Edited by loop_

haha..wow.. read up the review.. thanks load loop. hmmz.. guess the scandal regarding the headphonia is quite shocking.. i'm not sure if i wanna get it...but will think abt it. hmmz..how abt the ibasso p1? seems that it's quite value for money..and seems the best in it's price range.

am i able to get these amps thru a local dealer? or do i have to order online?

ya why not. but I think you'll have to buy that online. from what I know Jaben is probably the place to go to to find a portable amp; he's the dealer for some of those (RSA, go-vibe...etc). You can also go to headphonehaven.com and ask them, since Jaben's khakis created that forum. I'd suggest you go down to the shop because you can always bargain with him (I think, I hope?), and you can try them yourself. Can be a bit crowded and noisy though.

Not so sure about stereo,- aron is best placed to answer that. I know he carries the Xenos line, but not sure if he has the highest-end one. I would have a go at that if he does carry it just to see how much better it can be from the cheaper ones, then you can measure how much you want to stretch/limit your budget.

alright..thanks loads.. guess i will go down one day to check out jaben's stuff. haha. asked aron abt portable amps too..told mi he has the xenos line and recomends mi to check out jaben's stuff too.