scottiebabie

Analogue Reference IC vs PCWORK 6wire Litz IC

I ‘ve been using PCWORKs 6wire Litz Style IC cables for a few weeks now in replacement of the original PCWORK normal diy canare IC. However it only took me a few days of critical listening before I was able to discern small but noticeable sonic differences between PCdude’s new 6wire litz and his old 4wire canare cables.

Before I come up with flowery and big money words to describe the sonic attributes of the new 6wire litz IC, I have to add the disclaimer that I was NOT a believer in the long held and just as controversial view that cables make a sonic difference. I always thought that given decent initial quality, a cable is a cable is a cable. Copper is copper is copper. How much more simple is that? I was proven wrong by my own ears. I could hear a difference!

Recent experiences in choosing capacitor values for my new Gmod modifications taught this old dog some tricks regarding the sonic effects capacitance has on sound. Also the recent acquisition of an ER4 p-s impedance adapter of 75ohms (again beautifully made by PCdude) have again shown me the sonic traits imparted by impedance. Based on these experiences, I can conclude that cable impedance and capacitance are the major culprits of “cable soundâ€. It is my personal opinion that the best cables should have no sound signature. Transparency is the holy grail of cables (and indeed, of source too IMO). Their task is to carry the audio signal as pure and as unadulterated as possible from one end to the other.

So what does this have to do with cable sonic differences and this supposed review? Well, after only taking up audiophilia with any serious intentions for a relatively short time, I can honestly admit that I do not know how to review cables! I mean I can say the 6wire litz give more bass and that the treble seems livelier with unadulterated (boy I love this word for some reason) honesty but I interpret that as greater transparency and resolution. Instead of the 6wire litz “giving†more bass, it is my opinion that the positive sonic differences I hear is due to its greater resolution and transparency. The greater electrical conducting capacity of the 6wire litz carries a purer unadulterated audio signal. Period! And I heard it as greater bass, livelier treble and increased clarity and sparkle. That said, the differences I could discern (the Gmod helped greatly btw) are not of biblical or even monumental proportions. Though small it is discernable if one is listening with sufficient clarity of mind and concentration (and sobriety helps in my case).

Again recent experiences demo’ing our new Gmod showed me the differences in remarks, impressions and opinions from different people even though everyone’s listening to the samething. The one thing that everyone concluded is the Gmod is much better than normal lineout. Other than that, its more bass, less bass, tighter bass, bigger slam, more treble extension, more forward mids, better vocals, wider soundstage, bigger stage, more depth, more details, better dynamics, greater PRaT, increased speed and quickness, greater clarity, better tonality, brighter, yadi yadi yada…….! Take your pick of phases and use it in your statement and it’ll still ring true even though the next guy has a different set. To me they’re all interpreting and describing what is IMO an increase in resolution and transparency.

So to conclude, the newer PCWORK 6wire litz cable (don’t know which make as I didn’t ask) is more transparent and resolved than the normal 4wire canare cable IMO. Not mind bendingly so but its significant enough for me. YMMV of’coz. O plus the fact the 6wire interweave is so cool.

IPB Image

But wait, there’s part deux…

IPB Image

Last week I was fortunate enough to be handed a set of custom top-of-the-line Analogue Reference mini IC cable made by a well known s’pore headfier to audition. I’ve been listening to it from my Gmod ‘pod to Tomahawk driving my modded iM716. For the longest time, I honestly cannot hear any differences as both are very very good (as least compared to my former canare IC) and sounded identical. And so I did my normal reviewing tactic of just using the AR only for the next few days till a few hours ago. And the result is…..(drumroll)……I still honestly (and unadulteratedly) cannot discern any significant difference! They are both that good.

Now since I’ve promised a review and reviews need conclusions, I’ve resorted to a mental exercise I’m well versed in esp.on cold and wet lonely nights. I’ll pretend a gorgeous babe with serious booties flashing me some indecent cleavage and making goo goo eyes at me with promises of other “goodies†to come if and only if I stand up, be a man, stop the namby-pamby and make a decisive decision! In that moment of bloodlust insanity, I’ll probably blurt out that the AR have a feline hair more bass with the accompanying warmth and the 6wire PCWORK Litz might have the slightest (again by a feline hair) upper end extension and clarity. So who’s the winner here? Hmmm…I guess it would depend on whether I’m game for a fuller bottom or in the mood for some extended lungs at that very moment. Please take my prior statement with not only a pinch of salt but with the skepticism that it’s the ramblings of a man push to the edge and made to choose by a PYT (Pretty Young Thing la, what else??). Its tantamount to critiquing Cindy Crawford’s mole!

Whatever my ramblings, IMHO the real winner is us. We in this part of the world have dedicated DIY’ers that not only put in the requisite time and effort, they put in a lot of themselves and it shows in the quality of their workmanship and QC. I for one am supremely grateful I get to sample their wares even while not fully comprehending the amount of work and pride that goes into each IC. The word handcrafted shines like a beacon in this world of increasing automation. Whatever the price charged (and I’m absolutely positive its way wayyy cheaper than the ICs Americans and Europeans pay) I would not be begrudging their small profit for a lot of effort but I’d be afraid they may not have the free time available to custom make me an IC esp.in this increasingly hectic and stress filled rat-race we call modern society.

Disclaimer:

Ahhh...no, sad to admit but I’m NOT paid by either party for this review (hint:I’m doing this out of the goodness of my heart but more importantly, also in the hope I get sent more toyz to play with and inlieu of toyz, cash also works). As usual, this is only my humble opinion with my current gear. YMMV and despite my convincing argument, its the gray matter between your ears that holds the key.

any chance to find pcwork cable in singapore?

i dont believe its available in s'pore at this time. however if your serious, drop me a PM and i'll either pass u his email or get him to contact u to discuss the matter.

here's some updates on a cool feature of the braided Litz cable that i've not seen in any other short IC:

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by scottiebabie