Sign in to follow this  
radioactive28

Spiffing up your HDD MP3 player

Well, I've toyed with the idea since about a year ago, when SSDs were first released. Just wondering if anyone has actually done it.

Those with HDD-based players, ever thought about upgrading the HDD to solid-state drives? SSD capacities are now up to 64Gb, while the 4/8/16Gb flavours are getting more common, costing under S$1000 (though only available online). The various connector options are also common - Micro-ATA 40- or 44-pins, or CE-ATA ZIF.

Benefits of SSD: very low power consumption (should dramatically increase battery life), and virtually indestructible (unless your player went under a car, or got exposed to the EMP created by a nuclear explosion nearby).

Yeah, the price doesn't look pretty, but the point is: it can be done :rclxms:

(speculation and prediction from 2004 :)) )

[mods: should this belong under DIY?]

Edited by radioactive28

Gah, bumping my own thread, but heck.

One year on, I haven't gotten SSDs for my H320, and HDD players seemed to have been all phased out.

Did get the next best thing though - a CF-to-1.8"-IDE adaptor that's supposed to work for players (1st/2nd-gen iPod, H1xx, H3xx, certain iAudio models?) using the Toshiba 1.8" HDD.

A downside though - I've either gotten a faulty adaptor, or it's just not working for my player.

If anyone would like to have a try, or give your player a new lease of life, just let me know =)

(Plus, I'd really like to see this mod work.)

By the way, if the adaptor does work, a 32Gb CF card costs about, what, 300 bucks max?

Edited by radioactive28