Sign in to follow this  
dgps

iRiver IMP-550 - No True Line out?

hi all,

need some enlightenment here on iRiver imp-550's line out, esp for those using iRiver products....read in the internet that the iRiver has not true line out, i.e. the volume of the line out could be adjusted by the volume control of the player............

how would this effect the sound out to an headphone amp?

thanks in advance............

Rgds.

I have this unit, the line-out volume can indeed be adjustable.

But my advice is not to worry about it. The sound quality of

this unit is very good, and that's whats most important.

Besides, I would think it is a digital volume controller so just

leave it at 100% if you fear degration.

I have this unit, the line-out volume can indeed be adjustable.

But my advice is not to worry about it. The sound quality of

this unit is very good, and that's whats most important.

Besides, I would think it is a digital volume controller so just

leave it at 100% if you fear degration.

hi,

you have the 550! that's great......any comments on the quality and reliability? a bit hesitant to get it as there are a number of -ve feedback on the 550 on the internet...........

care to share where u got it and for how much?

thanks...........

cheers...........

I got it online from http://www.teamdigital.net at their listed price, and a little more for delivery.

I needed a digital out, so there wasnt many options for me and I didnt really do much research b4 choosing the iriver. But like I said, I'm quite happy with the sound quality. It is also very light, hence it doenst have a robust feel to it...

Firstly, I wouldn't call variable line output as untrue. tongue.gif (kidding dude)

Just like the Marantz cdps which have internal volume controls and often misunderstood as digital (in fact, it's analogue but through microprocessor instead of a potentiometer.........Wadia has a true digital variable output by attentuation of digital bits and bytes).

Although purists will scorn on variable line ouput, a properly designed one with good parts may reduce any detriment to sound quality to a very subtle/minor degree. In the case of MP550, turn the volume to maximum when utilizing its line output.