xolp3000

Headphones for tracking/mixing?

I am doing quite a bit of work in a home studio, and im trying to choose a pair of headphones for the occasional midnight mix(to keep me on good terms with my neighbours) and tracking. Currently on Shure e4c, but alot of the people who use the studio complain about having to stick something into their ears, so aiming largely at a circumaural cans. My budget would be around $200+

I have four candidates, beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro, Sennheiser HD 280 Pro, AKG K 271 Studio and Audio Technica ATH-M50. Im looking for somthing flat sounding, comfy with spectacles, and capable of being driven by my M-Audio Firewire 410 and the occasional mp3 player. How do these four models compare, and should i be considering something else. I also hope somebody can furnish the rough prices of a new set in Singapore.

I am leaning abit towards the m50, so anyone has used this set.

Thanks in advance

Edited by xolp3000

I am using the M50 - Flat and accurate. This pair of headphone is easily driven and foldable like the v6/7506. I am wearing spec and it is pretty comfy for me.

Guest dragonboy

You can also try the AKG k271 retailing abt $200++. Pretty comfy & accurate, clean production.

hi WatCult. how much did you get your m50 for and from where. how durable is it?

I got it as a present. If i am not wrong, my colleague got them from bluetin so should be $158.

Quite durable ... i bring it to work everyday and AT even provide a pouch for you to keep the headphone.

Sorry, im quite a noob here, but where would i be able to check out the AKG k271 and the m50. Would like to compare the few.

WatCult, where would bluetin be?

Bluetin is an online store in SG.

If you want to do a comparision .. you can visit Stereo @ Causeway Pt or Jaben.

Just read more reviews, jaben seems to be out of stock for the m50 and k271, so i will prolly go audition them in 2 weeks time.

I believe the k271 is around $250, but the m50 is much cheaper. Any reason for the large price differential? Has anyone compared the two directly?

More or less given up on hd280 and dt770 based on the reviews i got online. The hd280 seems to be not very well liked, and the dt770 prolly has too much bass for a studio phone.

Oh and one more thing, coming from the background of the the Shure e4c IEM, what kind of changes would i be expecting. I always thought that IEMs sacrificed much of their sound quality for size.

Thanks so much for the comments guys.

Edited by xolp3000

Hi,

I do exactly what you do, track and mix at night. For mixing I use Beyer 880 but added a layer of foam to make it less bright. I find it pretty neutral.

For tracking, I use the DT150. Great isolation, has a presence boost that helps during tracking stage. Otherwise you can always use the ever-popular Sony 7506 or 7509.

Otherwise, AKG 271 is a good choice too for monitoring.