Sign in to follow this  
moonwalker

switch frm speaker to headphone? headphone recommend?

Hi guys,

I am new here :P , well, I don't have much exp with headphone, used some models like audiotechnica ec7 - cm7 (sounded good to me), tried a grado sr125 with the audigy 2zs but feeling not so good, a bit bright and somewhat harsh.

I am currently using a hi-fi setup: t-amp,built-in dac, big bookshelf speaker, total cost ard 1.1k, and I am very satisfy with it.

Due to space constrain and under-usage, I intend to switch to a good pair of headphone. The source will be my laptop, thinking of a usb-headamp, listening mostly vocal and need details also.

So, I want to ask you guys, can recommend me a headphone ard 300SGD and an amp? preferably smooth mid, a bit on the warm side and good imaging. total cost for the set is ard 500SGD. Can it compete with my speaker setup?

Thanks a lot

p/s: does audiotechnica es9 suits my taste?

Guest dragonboy

U can try the Ibasso D1 version 2 ... DAC with usb/opt./coax/ + Amplifier. Can run direct AC or batteries. Probably the best DAC+amp below $400. :party:

Whereas the es9 .... just sold mine this evening at SE. If you're interested u could check with aron .... mine's in mint condition. :thumbup:

Guest dragonboy

SE is Stereo located at Causeway Point. Ibasso is releasing a new DAC+amp in Jan 2008. Maybe u can PM SE to check. The new D2 should be below $300.

Why not check out the ATH-EWS9 I trade-in at SE? Used for less than a month.... Looks like new.... You pay less than $300 for that comfort and SQ.... quite a good deal :dance:

But dunno still there or not,boy? :think:

Hey moonwalker,

If you are looking for soundstage and for vocals, can try the AKG K501. Bass-wise this cans isn't good. But if paired with a good headphone amp, this cans is great for vocals and best is classical. I bought mine almost ten years back for around $200. Since this model has been discountinued, the prices have generally increased. Last heard it was selling at around $300-$350 new.